Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Looks like a S. Manueli. Its kinda small. Either that, or a spilocf, however I think those markings look like manueli to me.

(I could be wrong though)

~Dj

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I think it's a juvi S. Manueli (aka. Green Tiger Piranha): it's back has a green hue, and the spots are more stripe-like compared to similar sized juveniles of most other species.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
It does look like a manuelli with out the humeral spot...It has the color on the gill plate, the big eye, the striping and greenish color, but everyone I have seen has the humeral spot, but maybe just not at that age.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
grosse gurke said:
everyone I have seen has the humeral spot, but maybe just not at that age.
Thats what I was thinking as well. Hopefully george can lend his opinion.

~Dj

·
Registered
81 Posts
I dont think its a baby Manueli because Manueli is distinctive for its length as a juvi
they look like elongatous when young then they start filling out..

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
I don't know what it is, but it does not look to me like it's a manueli.

Besides the lack of a humeral spot (which might be due to stress or water conditions), the eyes do not seem large enough in proportion to the head.

Hope Hareball doesn't mind... Here's a pic of his 3" manueli when he owned it:

Also notice the difference in body shape and head profile. IMO, It looks very different compared to your's.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Sorry, it's not...besides of the lack of the distinctive black humeral vertical spot and reddish eyes S.manueli have hyaline fins when youngsters while yours have a reddish anal fin...so IMO you have another specie...!

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Cleaned image......not manueli.....nor gouldingi.....its is what I said, S. eigenmanni morphotype. Note caudal fin...this is not manueli nor gouldingi attribute.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts