Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 100lb bag of sand yesterday and I have been washing and washing it and it still dark water.
How long do I have to wash it? it also says its contains something that is poisonious to the state of Ca.
Its like a 30 grade play sand.... Is it gonna be a bad idea to use? thanks

· Registered
480 Posts
It takes a damn long time to wash sand. I did 200 lbs of it in my tank. My suggestion is pour about 10 lbs in a bucket and swish it around while hosing it down and then pour off the top water and repeate. I think doing little segments at a time was actually quicker (dont ask me why
).

As far as that dangerous sh*t, I think they're talking about silica, which can cause lung problems in humans, but dont worry bout your fish, theyre lungs will be fine :laugh:

· Registered
146 Posts
it's probably best to do a small quantity at a time and while you're washing have the pan or what ever type of container you are using canted to one side so that the small particles will flow over the side. eventually the water will get clear and all of the heavier sand will be on the bottom. i also use my hands and mix the sand up a little to really get it clean while washing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.