Piranhas Forum banner

Bought 2 'Check Valves' Today

226 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Fresh2salt 
#1 ·
I bought a couple of these because the other day one of the air hoses came loose from my air pump and water slowly siphoned from the tank and onto the floor. my guess is that a gallon or less leaked onto the floor to prevent this from happening again I put these check valves on 2 of my tanks where the air pump is below the point of the air hose inside the tank.

however, I did notice that after putting them in the air hose the amount of air getting pumped into the tank was reduced. I guess it will eliminate the possibility of water siphoning out and onto the ground through the air house.

do other people have these check valves installed in their air hose to prevent back siphoning incase of a power outage???? just curious....thanks

btw: these chack valves cost $2.79 a piece....which is very expensive in my opinion, but what can ya do?!

See less See more
#3 ·
illnino said:
put the pump on the top of the tank..........
[snapback]940645[/snapback]​
yea...that is somewhat of a good idea, but that is not fool-proof. In the instance that water leaked from my tank and onto the floor through the air hos was when the air pump was above the tank. what happened was where the air hose plugs into the air pump came loose and the air hose fell down lower than the water level...creating a siphon & slowly leaking water. ( I noticed it farely quickly because I was doing some regular tank maintenance.

thanks for the idea

G
#7 ·
Certainly a very good idea and the only sure way to stop that happening. They are cheap too.

You can get by, like said with the pump above the tank. Or create a loop before entering the tank. But for a few coins a check valve is a good plan!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.