Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Vertebrate Fin Fish supply Underwater Organism
Vertebrate Fin Underwater Organism Fish
^^^ both males, same markings on mouth

I've got a 55gal with 2 pairs of convicts-one breeding and the other isn't. Last week I threw a gar in there for about 4 hours before I realized it was stupid (it was wild and too big). Tonight I just saw this on my two male convicts- looks like a dark spotting above and below their mouth.What does this look like?

I'm about to put them in a 20 long tommorow and putting these guys in there as a breeder and then put baby P's in the 55gal Friday or early next week. Does this look like HITH or something that could be contagious? I would be doing a full on 100% water change before I put the P's in the 55 but could these convicts(and their babies) possibly have something bad that could be given on to the P's?

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
View attachment 130383
View attachment 130384
^^^ both males, same markings on mouth

I've got a 55gal with 2 pairs of convicts-one breeding and the other isn't. Last week I threw a gar in there for about 4 hours before I realized it was stupid (it was wild and too big). Tonight I just saw this on my two male convicts- looks like a dark spotting above and below their mouth.What does this look like?

I'm about to put them in a 20 long tommorow and putting these guys in there as a breeder and then put baby P's in the 55gal Friday or early next week. Does this look like HITH or something that could be contagious? I would be doing a full on 100% water change before I put the P's in the 55 but could these convicts(and their babies) possibly have something bad that could be given on to the P's?
Looks to me like there were locking mouths doing there dance they do when they fight it out

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Looks like they've been fighting... They'll likely end up killing each other in the 20 gal long. So be prepared for a death.

Don't do a 100% water change on the 55 gal. You'll shock and kill a lot of the good bacteria and the tank will need to recycle. This could harm or kill your baby piranhas.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, they are going in a 20long-just the one pair that is breeding- with 20 of their babies. The other pair just hang out like hetero lifemates or something lol. That doesn't look like anything to worry about though? I've never seen the two males really fight it out and I'm just worried because I'm getting my first P's in less than a week and don't need to kill them (shipping is $50-60 for me in the deep dirty south)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I came back to Michigan tonight and the largest convict in my 75 g RBP tank had the same freakin thing! ...is death eminent for the big guy?

p boost knows....any convict death in that tank will clear up some space because they basically took over that tank.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Could be mouth-rot(stress related) or an actual injury from fighting.

If you don't keep the convicts with the p's then they shouldn't kill them.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
nah i wasnt talking about the P's killing the cons....they dont mess with them for some reason(probably beause they are always well fed).

i was referring to the male cons killing each other

·
Frontosa King
9,990 Posts
its likely just from fighting, usually its white from their teeth rubbing on eachothers flesh but this looks like its already in the healing stage. its nothing to worry about and i wouldnt even suggest salt because its so minor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts