Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
WWTCD?
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two cons in a 29 gallon tank. Water parameters are fine. Temps are good. Etc, etc, etc.

However, all they do is HIDE. It's damn annoying. Is this natural for convicts? Should I consider taking out some of the decos leaving them more exposed?

The smaller of the two is not as bad. But the larger is nearly always hiding save for when I feed and sometimes late at night.

Any suggestions?

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
that's perfectly normal; they are frightened about their new environment. The biggest hides the most cuz he's the most dominant and (therefore unlike the other(s) who also are concerned about staying out of his way), he has nothing to set his mind on but the new tank and that crazy giant f*cker who shows up in front of it every now and then.

much of the time fish need time to acclimate and accustom themselves to their environment before they become active, and its possible they may never become as active as you wish. I have 2 JDs that I've kept for the past 2 yrs and they still prefer to hide in my presence. that's just fish nature.

adding dithers/other active fish to spread the cons' attention may help as the other guy already said

·
WWTCD?
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thanks.

Though I've done a bunch of reading on cons and other cichlids, these are the first ones I've actually owned. They're only in a 29 gallon. So I'm not sure if barbs would be the best idea to add since they get semi-big-ish for that size of tank, don't they? Tetras might be a good alternative though. Get a school of them or something.

Though... Dithers are dithers for a reason and I should expect the cons to pick 'em off now and then, huh?

·
WWTCD?
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And then... RIGHT AFTER I post that last message, I look over at the tank my cons are in, and they're swimming around and dancing up and down and doing back flips and such all over the front of the tank.

Funny how that works.

·
4,053 Posts
Small dithers might get picked off, it depends on their speed and awareness. The tiger barbs should be ok for awhile though, they might die of stress or injury later. I had to remove all dithers from my cons tank a few days ago, they were getting the sh*t kicked out of them.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
Mettle said:
And then... RIGHT AFTER I post that last message, I look over at the tank my cons are in, and they're swimming around and dancing up and down and doing back flips and such all over the front of the tank.

Funny how that works.
[snapback]837375[/snapback]​
they're just having fun with their reflections, thats perfectly normal too. Don't be disappointed tomorrow when they resume hiding in your presence

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
My convicts used to be the same way and I was actually on the verge of selling them I was getting so frustrated. Adding a shoal of tiger barbs (they don't grow past 2 inches) made them a whole lot more active and they were always swimming about after that. Tiger barbs are quick enough too that I've never seen the convicts mess with them either. The green terror tries to kick the sh*t out of them, but the cons have never given em a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts