Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What water quality issues will I have if I put real bones in my piranha tank? Is there anything I should do to the bones before introducing them to the tank? The bones are a pelvis bone from a cow and a skull of a goat. Both were brought into me from a herdsman from a near by farm who knew I had a piranha tank.

Thanks.

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
I would coat the bones in an aquarium safe epoxy before putting them in your tank. Otherwise I imagine that they will leach calcium and put your water hardness through the roof and f*ck up your ph along the way. You should be able to find a clear epoxy to coat them with fairly easily, and it shouldn't be too expensive or difficult either

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
you'd better boil them and soak them in bleach then seal them in epoxy or something along those lines. bones are full of all kinds of organic things that are constatnly breaking down as they decay. marrow, calcium, etc. cool idea though. post a photo when it's done. an iraqi human skull in your tank would take the cake imo.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
dutchfrompredator said:
you'd better boil them and soak them in bleach then seal them in epoxy or something along those lines. bones are full of all kinds of organic things that are constatnly breaking down as they decay. marrow, calcium, etc. cool idea though. post a photo when it's done. an iraqi human skull in your tank would take the cake imo.

[snapback]850766[/snapback]​
couldnt have said it better, i second that opinion.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
dutchfrompredator said:
an iraqi human skull in your tank would take the cake imo.

[snapback]850766[/snapback]​

On topic: I've used a scull of a baby cow once and after a while there was growing some kind of fungus or algea on it, so I had to take it out. But imo it looked pretty good.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
jan, a photo of a cow skull in a p tank would probably rock!
i wouldn't mine seeing that. is it in your gallery or posted? also, relax, there's plenty of iraqi human skulls buried all over that country from that murdering piece of sh*t hussein everyone seems to feel was not a problem. the aforementioned skulls have been there since the late 70's and early 80's when murder and genocide in that country actually began to gather steam. i'm not referring to the skulls of terrorists and iraqi insurgents caused by my battery while i was an artillery officer over there taking mortars and rockets every day for seven months if those were the skulls you thought i meant. actually, no, those skulls are okay too i guess. the problem is, you should see the skulls and remains and graves of those killed over there before people like me helped out. oh dear lord, the skulls, the child skulls, the woman skulls. mostly death and skulls over there so grabbing an old one shouldn't be too big a deal. i'm going to see if my friends who are still over there risking their lives every day can arrange that for me and mail a skull over. interested pfury members let me know.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Fellow brought me in a pelvis bone, but its huge. Anybody wants, hollar and will work something out. Think skulls would be hard to seal so might try some vertabrea<sp> Thanks all.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
dutchfrompredator Posted Yesterday, 12:13 PM
jan, a photo of a cow skull in a p tank would probably rock! i wouldn't mine seeing that. is it in your gallery or posted? also, relax, there's plenty of iraqi human skulls buried all over that country from that murdering piece of sh*t hussein everyone seems to feel was not a problem. the aforementioned skulls have been there since the late 70's and early 80's when murder and genocide in that country actually began to gather steam. i'm not referring to the skulls of terrorists and iraqi insurgents caused by my battery while i was an artillery officer over there taking mortars and rockets every day for seven months if those were the skulls you thought i meant. actually, no, those skulls are okay too i guess. the problem is, you should see the skulls and remains and graves of those killed over there before people like me helped out. oh dear lord, the skulls, the child skulls, the woman skulls. mostly death and skulls over there so grabbing an old one shouldn't be too big a deal. i'm going to see if my friends who are still over there risking their lives every day can arrange that for me and mail a skull over. interested pfury members let me know.
Wouldn't it just be easier to dig up one of your relatives and use their skull? Certainly would save postage and handling (plus jail time for pilfering artifacts and religious symbols).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.