Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have to get a new alternator for my 88iS so you would expect it to be like 200 installed , but no its 567 dollars just for the part...
now thats just f*cking bullshit...

on another note. bwm wants 8000 dollars to fix my uncles imported 87 M3 that had a battery fire, it needs a square foot of paint and a new taillight and battery cables and inside trunk carpet, and they want to charge 8000 dollars for that.. what the f*ck is this world coming to
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,318 Posts
If you wanna play you gotta pay. However I recommend you get that alternator rebuilt if possible. My friend had an Isuzu Rodeo that the alternator went bad on. THe shops wanted 300$ for a new one. He had it rebuilt to perfect for 50$
 

·
my sister is #1 best prostitute
Joined
·
10,963 Posts
its just an alternator, replace it your self and save the labor..

was that the origonal alternator from 88? thats a good equiptment life..

i look at it in terms of reliability, part life and car value... if you have to replace the part once in the time you own the car and its a relatively inexpensive to the value of the car and you consider the cost of gettting a differnt car tehn it well worth whaever the cost to replace the part..
unfortunately i had to do several repair to my car last year that have gotten very close to exceding the value ratio, but hopefully the car shouldnt have any more problems for many more miles..

i had to replace the tranny, clutch and starter, all about 4 months apart so it was an expensive year to keep it running but considering those have been the only repairs ive had to do out of 4 years and 80k miles it could be worse..
 

·
Danse Macabre!
Joined
·
10,561 Posts
It;s what happens when you buy something expensive, they assume since you had money to burn buying the initial product, you don't care how much you have to spend on maintenance or accessories. My digital camera is the same way, Canon figures if someone is going to spend 1200 bucks on a camera, they won't mind spending 100 dollars for one f*cking cable, it's ridiculous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,106 Posts
you think a BMW would install an alternator for 200? I have an 86 civic, and it cost me a little more than that for my car. Fact is, you buy a car like a biimmer, mercedes, jag all those, you pay mroe for repairs. For example, the starter on the northstar engine is like 500 canadian.
 

·
my sister is #1 best prostitute
Joined
·
10,963 Posts
elTwitcho said:
It;s what happens when you buy something expensive, they assume since you had money to burn buying the initial product, you don't care how much you have to spend on maintenance or accessories. My digital camera is the same way, Canon figures if someone is going to spend 1200 bucks on a camera, they won't mind spending 100 dollars for one f*cking cable, it's ridiculous.
[snapback]838631[/snapback]​
yeah but if your going to spend alot of money on something dont you think the parts should in some way add up to the value of the car?

honestly id be pissed i spent a shitload of money on a car and when something broke they told me it a was a cheapo five dollar part. why would the car cost so much if it only cost 50 bucks for an alternator?

if you got a 1200 camera wouldnt you want to have a the highest quality cables to transfer the high quality images you spent so much to take? not to say that higher cost always means high quality but say you have a 7 mega pixil camera but you use a shitty 5dollar usb cable (or what ever format) and it transfers a image about the quality of a cell phone camera it would be kind of a waste..

another thing to consider is how often does that part go bad? if there not replacing tons of them the production price will be higher because they are making smaller numbers of them so it will cost more.. an alternator for some POS american car will be cheaper because they burn out mor often so they sell more of them, plus they might use a crappier cheaper to build design in the first place. but you wont pay as much for the POS car as a BMW..

my friends parents are selling a 97 benz for 12k, the car is mint, white with tan leather all the options and super clean, i can afford the car and would love to have it but if the tranny or even the starter or anything goes it would be 500 minimum to replace anything on the it, tranny would be closer to 5g's..
 

·
Danse Macabre!
Joined
·
10,561 Posts
nismo driver said:
if you got a 1200 camera wouldnt you want to have a the highest quality cables to transfer the high quality images you spent so much to take? not to say that higher cost always means high quality but say you have a 7 mega pixil camera but you use a shitty 5dollar usb cable (or what ever format) and it transfers a image about the quality of a cell phone camera it would be kind of a waste..
[snapback]838667[/snapback]​
Dude, it's a coiled flash sync cable, even factoring gold plated connectors the cost of that part is 10 dollars at the very very most. Wiring is cheap as f*ck dude, it's completely ridiculous to charge that price considering I have a set of headphones with gold plated connectors, a nicer coiled cable and all the stuff involved in the speaker system that cost 150 dollars
 

·
my sister is #1 best prostitute
Joined
·
10,963 Posts
elTwitcho said:
Dude, it's a coiled flash sync cable, even factoring gold plated connectors the cost of that part is 10 dollars at the very very most. Wiring is cheap as f*ck dude, it's completely ridiculous to charge that price considering I have a set of headphones with gold plated connectors, a nicer coiled cable and all the stuff involved in the speaker system that cost 150 dollars
[snapback]838678[/snapback]​
sorry im not an expert on cameras, nor am i familiar with the compatability from model to model..

those are things that you should look into when deciding on what to get. some companys make there connectors specicily so you have to buy there products.. its the same with memory cards for cameras. why dont they just make a standard card? sony has memory sticks which is cool if everything else you own is sony because they all use the same cards.. fuji has there own thing canon uses the flash cards (whatever there called).. whyy didnt play station or x-box just use USB connectors for the controllers? they have usb ports on the PS2.

why do cell phones use those stupid fragile multi pin conectors for the charger, they always break or have some kind of problem, for years they just had the simple plug, it worked fine. but now they can make more money when you have to buy a new cable every three months.. or replace the phone because the really fragile but critical part of the phone breaks easy and isnt under warranty..
 

·
Look into my eyes!
Joined
·
7,562 Posts
A monkey could put in an Alternator. Do it yourself and save the money. Also, quit buying bimmers if you don't have the money to fix them. Why do you think they are so crazy cheap?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,318 Posts
nismo driver said:
.. an alternator for some POS american car will be cheaper because they burn out mor often so they sell more of them, plus they might use a crappier cheaper to build design in the first place. but you wont pay as much for the POS car as a BMW..
[snapback]838667[/snapback]​
no. American parts are less because they are produced here, so no import tax, and less money for dealers to get the parts. And they dont burn out more often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,584 Posts
Filo said:
no. American parts are less because they are produced here, so no import tax, and less money for dealers to get the parts. And they dont burn out more often.
[snapback]838721[/snapback]​
exactly


im glad u understand filo!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top