Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if its good to use this in a piranha tank. I think ive seen some mention of it somewhere on this site. It def lowers PH but from what i read in the Piranha Info pages on here, Red bellies like a ph of 6.5-6.8. Any comments?

·
Breaki'n all day...
4,507 Posts
i have used it afew times and it is actually really good for them
because it contains alot of minerals and vitamins that are good for their health.

if you use it remeber to take the carbon out of your filter (if any) because the carbon will absorb it all within a day or less.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not really possible to take the carbon out of my filter. I have an eheim 2215 with not cut off valves or anything so its a big project to get inside the filter. I clean it like every six months.

Any comments on the PH factor?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I use it all the time and it works wonders. for one it darkens the water and the piranha's feel more comfortable in darker water and already mentioned it contains vitamins and minerals. my advice start using it now and dont forget two add more during water changes...

·
Piranha Expert
4,309 Posts
i perfer to use peat moss over black water extract. but to each is there own

peat moss is also cheeper. heh

·
Soft Machine
1,687 Posts
true, peat is also much more concentrated, I do use BWE on all my tanks.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
FrontMan said:
The other question would be why are you using the peat and BWE?
[snapback]897114[/snapback]​
It sinks the pH (which makes the tank water resemble soft, acidic Amazonian water more), and it makes your water a bit tea-colored, which may have a calming effect on your piranha's (they don't like bright light - makes them feel exposed and vulnerable).

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
Judazzz said:
FrontMan said:
It sinks the pH (which makes the tank water resemble soft, acidic Amazonian water more), and it makes your water a bit tea-colored, which may have a calming effect on your piranha's (they don't like bright light - makes them feel exposed and vulnerable).
[snapback]897290[/snapback]​
True, but more importantly IMO is that calcium and magnesium both bond to the surface of peat, since calcium and magnesium are the two components of hard water, it greatly softens the water in your tank, which is more similar to the piranha's natural water conditions.

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
I use just the peat. I removed the carbon from the bag it came in, and replaced it w/ peat. One thing I observed after the fact was my female silver dollar was chasing the male all over the tank. I was thinking it may be breeding behavoir. If you are gonna try breeding, the peat helps a lot.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
elTwitcho said:
Judazzz said:
FrontMan said:
[snapback]897290[/snapback]​
True, but more importantly IMO is that calcium and magnesium both bond to the surface of peat, since calcium and magnesium are the two components of hard water, it greatly softens the water in your tank, which is more similar to the piranha's natural water conditions.
[snapback]897985[/snapback]​
I didn't know that - thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts