Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blacklights emit UV rays, but so do EXPENSIVE UV sterilizers. Couldn't you just place a blacklight above the sump in a wet/dry and achive the same results? I'm going to test this cheaper solution this weekend. I have a bacterial bloom, and might as well see if this works. We all have blacklights, some of us just don't (shouldn't) use them anymore. Let's see if we can find a secondary use for these tools of seduction used in our high school years. (I found mine in a box with my high school yearbooks).

·
Registered
219 Posts
SnowCichlid said:
there have been previous threads regarding black lights and there are many concerns that it is not suitable for the piranhas eyes...

maybe Frank can further add to my statement
ya a blacklight would completely mess up a piranas eyes, but i dont think he means to put the blacklight above the fish, but above the sump, so that would mean none of the light from the blacklight is getting to the pirana.

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
Glowin_Navi said:
i dont think he means to put the blacklight above the fish, but above the sump, so that would mean none of the light from the blacklight is getting to the pirana.
Assuming that the black light has the same effect as a UV in killing parasites and bacteria (which it doesn't)... what do you think it will do to the nitrifiers that also reside in the sump of the wet/dry?

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Thats a negative.

~Dj

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, it was worth a try. PLus it gives the sump a nice purple color. Yeah, I researched it, and it will not work. I was just trying to save some money. Blacklights do put out UV rays, but not the correct wavelenght to kill the bacteria. You can make a homemade version, you just have to get the corect type of bulb.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.