Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was sold to me as a "Black Piranha". But what kind of rhom is it?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
perhaps a brandtii? Some one mentioned spilo cf? I hope it ain't something cheap cause it cost an arm and a leg!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
it doesnt have red eyes like a normal rhom........ maybe you got a better deal than what you paid........ still a nice fish

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Nope not a brantii IMO. I want frank to give his opinion first. Again, like I said before, I may have a new ID for you. I am not pro at ID'ing fish, but this one looks very similar to a fish I see quite often. I think perhaps frank might have some good news for you. What size is this fish?

~Dj

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is between four and five inches. Your killing me here... What is your guess, and like i said, i just hope i didn't get ripped on the lfs id as "black piranha"

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
It has the appearance of S. altuvei, but the spotting is a bit off for the size of the fish. A better flank photo would be best for another look before making the determination of species.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
hastatus said:
It has the appearance of S. altuvei,
Exactyl what I was thinking also. Just needed Frank to give his opinion. If it does turn out to be an altuevei, it will be much better then a rhom. I have one. Mine is 7 inches. Thats what I was refering to as me seeing a similar fish often. We will see though, please post more pics. Flank is the back half of the fish I believe. You will have to excuse frank, not everyone is a P scientist. Flank = back half.

~Dj

·
Registered
192 Posts
Flank = a full side shot

Get a picture that includes head to tail without any angle on the photo if possible.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I dont think you are going to ever see an S. Brandtii sold as anything else other then that. This is mainly because the area of exportation contains S. Brandtii and does not contain Rhombeus or any other known Serrasalmus for that matter. Although once in a awhile you could get lucky and get an altuvei instead of a rohm.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think it is a Rhom, Xingu possibly. Some of the other pictures made it appear more compressed, but I think this last one points me to say RHOM. The eyes also appear to be just turning color at this point. He is a bit high backed compared to some smaller rhoms, but I still think that is what you have.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yeah i could see in a way where it could be identified as spilo cf as here is a pic of my spilo cf, i bought it from nate and this pic is from nates site but the pic does him no justice. I notice a few idd between your fish and mine but either way man nice fish.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
who cares wut it is as long as its agressive. is it?
about the red eyes, he probably didnt develop them yet

1 - 20 of 28 Posts