Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to cure black spot on wild caught carbia. I all ready bought "Black Spot Control" by aquatronics. I have use it a couple of times by it doe not seem to work. If any one in the piranha-fury world has info, I would like to hear from you. Thank you

·
Registered
879 Posts
Atlanta Braves Baby! said:
I hope your not talking about the black humerole spot behind the gills. If so that is a charcteristic on all cariba.
I have this red that I just bought and it has a big-ass black spot on it's shoulder! What should I do?

Sorry bout the lame joke. what's your temperature?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wouldn't waste any more of your money on medications for the black spots.They are actually a small bird parsite that uses the Cariba or any other fish for that matter for a secondary host.Eventually they hatch out and cause the fish no harm.They may look unsightly but they pose no threat at all to the health of your fish.No medication I know of will kill them and they will eventually go away.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
PIRANHNUT said:
They are actually a small bird parsite that uses the Cariba or any other fish for that matter for a secondary host.Eventually they hatch out and cause the fish no harm.They may look unsightly but they pose no threat at all to the health of your fish.
What?!?!
I thought he was also referring to the (natural) humeral spots on Caribas. P-Nut, would you happen to have a pic of this?? I'd like to know more about this parisite in order to have a clue or give future referrences to other.

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
PIRANHNUT said:
I wouldn't waste any more of your money on medications for the black spots.They are actually a small bird parsite that uses the Cariba or any other fish for that matter for a secondary host.Eventually they hatch out and cause the fish no harm.They may look unsightly but they pose no threat at all to the health of your fish.No medication I know of will kill them and they will eventually go away.
WHAT! That is crazy. I would also love to see a pic of this. thanks for the info.

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
Here are pics of some unknown Myleus species that I have with black spots disease (this was a month ago):

It's a parasite that comes from bird droppings and spreads to fish. The fish is a secondary host and I have read somewhere that certain species of this parasite requires a snail as a secondary host. So if you don't have any birds flying around in your house that eats an infected fish and then poops in the aquarium... I wouldn't worry about it. Without these conditions, the parasite's life cycle will be gone (it's been about a month since I have taken those pics and the infected fish is starting to show improvement.

The infected fish does not show any signs of stress, eats and behaves normally. It has not spread to any of the other un-infected silver dollars in the tank. I have attempted to treat it with Clout, but quickly stopped treatment and did a major water change after I observed that many of the inhabitants seemed stressed. Just wait it out and keep your water clean. (That's what I'm doing...)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.