Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
hahahahahahahahaha
14,680 Posts
so my rhom has these little black specks on his side.
it may be nothing, but i just want to make sure. i seeing something similiar once and it was an external parasite according to someone.
let me know what you guys think and what i should do.
and its a crappy pic because its from my phone, but i think it shows what im talking about.
butters.jpg
thanks in advance guys

Attachments

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
Could be black spot. If the fish was imported recently that is probably what it is. I had some elongatus that had it. I just use salt at 1 tblspoon per 5 gallons and it was gone in a 3 or 4 weeks. If I remember right...black spot is either an external parasite or the remainder of an external parasite...but it isnt a big deal.

·
Wavy
25,469 Posts
it might be black ich but thats only commonly found on fish fresh out of the wild and it goes of in a while. Completely harmless. Dose with salt and raise the temp if you haven't already done so. Make sure after a few days of salt treatments though you change the water to get some freshwater back in there as charcins dont handle salt too well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmm it maybe "Velvet" disease or they call it the Gold dust disease cause by Parasite

# Symptoms: Scratchs against hard objects
# Fish is lethargic
# Loss of appetite and weight loss
# Rapid, labored breathing
# Fins clamped against body
# Fine yellow or rusty colored film on skin
# In advanced stages skin peeks off

Initially the fish rub against hard objects trying to dislodge the parasites. As the disease progresses the fish becomes lethargic, fins are held close to the body, appetite is reduced and the fish loses weight. A key symptom is difficult breathing, resulting in rapid gilling.

# Treatment : Raise water temperature
# Dim lights for several days
# Add aquarium salt
# Treat with copper sulphate for ten days
# Discontinue carbon filtration during treatment

Because Velvet is highly contagious and usually far advanced before being diagnosed, it is important to take steps to treat it as soon as possible. Treatment is targeted at the free-swimming stage of the parasite.
Copper sulphate is the treatment of choice. It should be used according to the manufacturers instructions for a full ten days to ensure that the parasite is completely eradicated. Atabrine (Quinacrine hydrochloride) is another medication that can be used to treat Velvet.
Because Oödinium is dependant on light, dimming the aquarium lights aids in eliminating the infestation. Increasing the water temperature to 82°F will speed the process, and adding salt to the water will ease the labored breathing caused by destruction of gill tissue. As with any treatment, activated carbon should be removed from the filter, as it will remove the drugs from the water.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/velvet.htm

·
LionHart
16,272 Posts
Like GG said, very common on newly imported fish.

If this is the case, you don't have to do any treatment whatsoever... they'll go away on their own.

·
hahahahahahahahaha
14,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like GG said, very common on newly imported fish.

If this is the case, you don't have to do any treatment whatsoever... they'll go away on their own.
what would you consider "newly" i have had him for a few months, and im pretty sure the kid i got him from also had him for a while.....
im going to start salt today, i was away from home all weekend so i didnt want to start it then skip two days.
he has this weird habit of swimming sideways too....kinda like flashing but not rubbing on anything i dont think there is anything to that, because he seems healthy, eats any time i feed him, but who knows. ill dose with salt for a week and update this thread after that if im still concerned.

thanks for the replies by the way.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
It's a parasite that comes from bird droppings and spreads to fish. The fish is a secondary host and I have read somewhere that certain species of this parasite requires a snail as a secondary host. So as long as you don't have any birds flying around in your house that eats an infected fish and then shits in the aquarium... I wouldn't worry about it. Without these conditions, the parasite's life cycle will be gone in about a couple months. Anything else remainding will just be cysts if anything. Just keep your water clean.

·
hahahahahahahahaha
14,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a parasite that comes from bird droppings and spreads to fish. The fish is a secondary host and I have read somewhere that certain species of this parasite requires a snail as a secondary host. So as long as you don't have any birds flying around in your house that eats an infected fish and then shits in the aquarium... I wouldn't worry about it. Without these conditions, the parasite's life cycle will be gone in about a couple months. Anything else remainding will just be cysts if anything. Just keep your water clean.
Thanks Dr. G.
nope haha, no birds in my bedroom. good to know. i have been dosing with salt since sunday night or so, and i have noticed the number of specks has reduced, or maybe its just my optomistic nature.
either way, for some reason his eyes have gotten more red with the salt dose. so maybe i fixed something else too, who knows.
Thanks guys.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
Hey Nick I moved this into the saved topics. Im sure this question will come up again

·
LionHart
16,272 Posts
I'm just getting back to this thread... Mettle found it necessary to suspend me for almost a week for some stupid reason...

Anywho, in regards to the 'swimming at an angle' thing... that's pretty common for Serras... especially smaller ones, and especially when being introduced to a new home.
It's their way of "Being less conspicuous."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts