Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
runner1 Posted on Jun 19 2003, 05:19 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What's the difference? Body shape?
It's all in the $'s.

o snap its eric Posted on Jun 19 2003, 05:23 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rhom is a Rhom. Peru has the high back rhom and Brazil has the true black rhom and also the yellowish colored rhom. Besides the obviou phsyical differnce, everything else is the same.
No such thing as a true black rhom or anything of that nature. Dealers put on color as part of the fish "airs" in order to sell it. Black is a fairly common color among piranas depending on age, water and breeding condition. As for highbacked.......hard to quantify that because I have seen some of these so-called highbacked rhombs turning out to be some other species that was not S. rhombeus. S. altispinis is a high backed piranha more so that S. rhombeus. Would not be surprized in the least if some of these "high backed" are indeed this species. In situations like this........buyer beware.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
o snap its eric said:
...There shouldnt be a need for such a high price for the same fish just like natts and terns
Agree!

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
o snap its eric Posted on Jun 19 2003, 06:22 AM
Good point frank, i think ALL rhoms should be sold a rhom including all them weird shapped ones. There shouldnt be a need for such a high price for the same fish just like natts and terns
I don't completely agree here. Some S. rhombeus like P. nattereri (red and yellow) come from remote areas and difficult to collect so of course the price would be higher in terms of that. Also, collectors are not ichythologists so hard to put much blame on them if they cannot distinguish one variation from another. They collect by native common names, from there dealers put on the more known common names in the hobby. And there lies the problem.

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
That is also a great point but its very dissapointing to the consumers when they think they have a S. Medini (sp?) or some sort of rare piranha but only to find out they got a spilo or some complex form of another piranha and had to pay an outrages amount of money. happy. If the exporter is not shure what fish it is, its better to assume it as a common fish in the same family rather than taking the risk in having a dissapointed customer when they find out it not an the fish they thought it was. You catch my drift? I can see its agruable for both the exporter side and consumer side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.