Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was sure that i had read somewhere that black piranha in the home aquarium were illegal. somehting to do with them being entirely too vicious and being able to climitize to cooler waters and therefore making them a hazard to local ponds / lakes.
anyways, just looking to clear this up i guess.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, even tho im from canada, that helped (or at least ill say it did to make you feel better...)

which part of the states do the moderaters/creators of this board hail from?

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
To my knowledge, Piranha are either all legal of illegal in states. There is no differentiation between certain species of Piranhas being illegal while others are legal to have. State laws usually refer to "all Piranha fish."

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
Can you see a sort of pattern with the colors on the map. The southern states will primarily have warmer fresh water due to being closer to the equator. Being that the water is warmer, I think, the piranha has a better chance to survive and even thrive, if let loose in the wild.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
traumatic said:
Can you see a sort of pattern with the colors on the map. The southern states will primarily have warmer fresh water due to being closer to the equator. Being that the water is warmer, I think, the piranha has a better chance to survive and even thrive, if let loose in the wild.
in an ideal world that is the way it should be set up, but their are a few cowardly states that still ban them

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would agree with the few cowardly states
There's a good article on the OPEFE site on areas of the U.S. that p's might be able to overwinter. Lets just say there are a number of illegal states where p's could not make it through the winter water temps.

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI said:
like Maine, New York, Mass, ..........................
Guess they are afraid that they could be put in the ocean and go down south and populate Florida.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Interesting map Nate. Looks familiar.

p.u.guy Posted on Mar 31 2003, 05:36 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks guys, even tho im from canada, that helped
Depending on where you are in Canada it is illegal. There are some U.S. legal states that individual cities or counties prohibit pirana possession.

See here for some information on what I am talking about:

Laws and Piranas

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
sccavee said:
Sir Nathan XXI said:
like Maine, New York, Mass, ..........................
Guess they are afraid that they could be put in the ocean and go down south and populate Florida.
What I dont understand is why Oregon is legal and Washington isn't. Washington's climate is even worse when it comes to temp in water, plus its a higher state. Whats the deal with that?

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
grosse gurke Posted on Mar 31 2003, 10:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oregon has Frank, Washington doesn't.
And to think that Olympia, Washington (my first choice of home) would have had me instead of Oregon which I decided I loved more than to go further north as originally planned.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
hastatus said:
grosse gurke Posted on Mar 31 2003, 10:59 PM
Oregon has Frank, Washington doesn't.
And to think that Olympia, Washington (my first choice of home) would have had me instead of Oregon which I decided I loved more than to go further north as originally planned.
Hey Frank.. ever thinking about moving to Cali??

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
RhomZilla Posted on Apr 1 2003, 09:21 AM ...Hey Frank.. ever thinking about moving to Cali??
I was born in California and one of the reasons I left it was because of my in/out trouble with fish and wildlife over piranas. While not partaking in the mystery of mind enhancement in palm reading, I did indeed (age 12) have a dream of testifying before the legislature the right to possess piranas. However at that time, I thought it was in California. Never did it occur to me years later it would be Oregon instead. Psychic?

·
Registered
45 Posts
hastatus said:
Interesting map Nate. Looks familiar.

p.u.guy Posted on Mar 31 2003, 05:36 AM
thanks guys, even tho im from canada, that helped
Depending on where you are in Canada it is illegal. There are some U.S. legal states that individual cities or counties prohibit pirana possession.

Laws and Piranas
As one example, I live in a legal state (Wisconsin) but my LFS is in a city which has an ordinance prohibiting piranhas. The LFS can order them, but can't keep them on display in the store so you have to pick up right off the truck. They are also prohibited in my home town, but if I lived outside the city limits by 100 yards nothing is regulated. Go figure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hastatus said:
There are some U.S. legal states that individual cities or counties prohibit pirana possession.

Laws and Piranas
As one example, I live in a legal state (Wisconsin) but my LFS is in a city which has an ordinance prohibiting piranhas. The LFS can order them, but can't keep them on display in the store so you have to pick up right off the truck. They are also prohibited in my home town, but if I lived outside the city limits by 100 yards nothing is regulated. Go figure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah guys thanks to all. i was just wondering about the spcie specific area because where i work apprently we can ored r/b's but were not allowed to order blacks because of thewm being illegal. go figure. freakin crackheads. anyways, imma look into it more and let y'all know. -->

1 - 20 of 21 Posts