Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am talking to a LFS owner and he said he could order a Black Piranha for about $30 for me. I asked him if it was a Black Diamond or what kind of piranha it was... he just said it was black and they were the most aggressive. I thought the elongatus was the most aggressive? I dunno, what do you guys think he's talking about? Is it a pygo or serra? Do you have to isolate them? I just want some info on them because I want another P. Thanks.

Oh, and what was the p in the picture of the year 2005 on the front page? That's f****ng awesome.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Black piranha is usually just the generic term given to the entire Serrasalmus genus... really no knowing what you will get, and no way to guarantee it is going to be an aggressive fish, he is just trying to make a sale.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
So I am talking to a LFS owner and he said he could order a Black Piranha for about $30 for me. I asked him if it was a Black Diamond or what kind of piranha it was... he just said it was black and they were the most aggressive. I thought the elongatus was the most aggressive? I dunno, what do you guys think he's talking about? Is it a pygo or serra? Do you have to isolate them? I just want some info on them because I want another P. Thanks.

Oh, and what was the p in the picture of the year 2005 on the front page? That's f****ng awesome.
Most LFS piranha trade is based on red bellys and regular black rhoms....Unless he really know what he is ordering, he would of told you some more info than the usual " a black piranha is the most aggressive".

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
black piranha is another name for black rhom..and it Serra. family...

$30 it pretty cheap, make sure it's really a rhom not pygo...also rhom are not most aggressive piranha nieghter the elong...

aggression depending on the fish it self, personilty, temp tank, how well you raise the fish, etc.....

Dont be suprise if the rhom are skittish at first, most fish need some time to get use to it new envoriment new home..it can take days, weeks, month to get use to it. But keep feeding the fish regular basic 2-3time a day.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts

$30 it pretty cheap, make sure it's really a rhom not pygo...also rhom are not most aggressive piranha nieghter the elong...

aggression depending on the fish it self, personilty, temp tank, how well you raise the fish, etc.....

Dont be suprise if the rhom are skittish at first, most fish need some time to get use to it new envoriment new home..it can take days, weeks, month to get use to it. But keep feeding the fish regular basic 2-3time a day.
In the small petshop world, Black Piranha is a term applied to any and all Serras in my experience... dont bet on it being a rhom.

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts

In the small petshop world, Black Piranha is a term applied to any and all Serras in my experience... dont bet on it being a rhom.
[/quote]

in some term depending where you are location...at my area LFS rhom or black piranha are the same...But i have to agree with you.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Well, the LFS owner has always been really helpful and i have established a pretty good relationship with him. I know he wouldnt try to screw me over or anything. but when I started throwing terms at him like "is it a rhombeous or serra or a pygocentrus" he just kinda looked at me like.... "well, it's a black piranha, and its aggressive, I had a baby one chew through the bag it came in to get to other fish in the tank and then it bit my finger and i had to get stitches from it... blah blah blah" but he also said you had to isolate the fish and couldnt keep it with others of the same species.

I know aggressiveness really depends on the fish and set-up, but generally speaking... whats the most aggressive? I read the pinned article, and everyone has different opinions but i want one that has to be isolated and will follow my finger and jump out of the water almost to get food. i really want to know what the pic of the year piranha was on the front page of the site. Thats an awesome looking P.

Here's some pics of my 7 reds now, pretty soon with the larger tank and when the little guys grow some i will have all together in a 125 ot 150 gallon. Before you all say it, i know the tank is too small, but it wont be much longer until the new.

Property Furniture Wood Interior design Rectangle

and heres the little guys, only had them for 3 days now.

Vertebrate Water Organism Plant Ingredient

Attachments

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Its a Serra and my guess is that it is a Rhom. I dont think he would wanna screw you cause then he would lose $. and if you dont like the Piranha don't buy it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are black rhoms pretty nice to own?

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Yeah, I love Rhoms. That is my next fish on my list to get. I would definitely say that a Rhom is a "must have" for any piranha owner.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah thats a sick looking piranha, i want one.

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
30 is pretty cheap but it does depend upon what size the fish is????

great fish to have and normally they are aggressive??

but as we all know it all depends on the individual fish

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I think they are like 2 or 3 inches

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
Labeled black piranha....just like momma used to say,buyings juvie serras is like a box of choclates, ya never know what yer gonna get

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I think it's a great fish to own!!! Just don't get lazy with the water changes and Meds and so on when needed for the Rhomb or Serra whatever you get. And good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts