Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have heard a lot about both of these piranhas but im curious as to what people who own them would say about them. im sure some people here have one or both of these. Which is more agressive? which is easier to care for? which is better looking (all oppinion i know) well anyway, if anyone knows anything post it here.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
reds are the more skittish type of Ps out there but are the easiest to take care of... gotta be in shoal of 4 or more.. black piranha, or rhom is more aggressive but are slow growers, they have this mean red eyes that are very much captivating..

·
Registered
52 Posts
by red you probably mean the red belly piranha. They are usually kept in shoals of 3 or more. The black piranha is a solitary fish and has to be kept by itself. As far as aggression it all depends on the individual fish. They are both fairly easy to keep, just keep up with your water changes.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh they grow slowly? thats great. i was going to buy a 2" black and upgrade to a larger tank soon. it would be the only fish in there. would it be ok alone? anyone else is welcome to tell me anything they know

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
Personally all piranha are great fish to own....althoug i've never own every single species.

If you new to piranha best of to start with red bellies....it very easy and understandable to take care of, and if you planning to have a shoal pygo is best for you to own.

Serra can grow fast within a year 5-6" in the first year...it will slowly grow about 1" per year depending on how well to taken care of it.

If you want to go with a group of red or pgyo shoal you need a big tank for them.

But if you have small tank a single Serra. (small) in there would be good as well.

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
Personally all piranha are great fish to own....althoug i've never own every single species.

If you new to piranha best of to start with red bellies....it very easy and understandable to take care of, and if you planning to have a shoal pygo is best for you to own.

Serra can grow fast within a year 5-6" in the first year...it will slowly grow about 1" per year depending on how well to taken care of it.

If you want to go with a group of red or pgyo shoal you need a big tank for them.

But if you have small tank a single Serra. (small) in there would be good as well.

Aggression is up to indiviual fish it self...all piranha can be aggressive and can be skittish.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
IMO, get redbellies because they are cheap and cool in a group. So if something goes wrong your not out a bunch of money. Not to mention that there is a chance of getting them to breed for you when they get bigger. From what I understand redbellies are the only ones you have a chance at getting to lay eggs one day.

I would get a bigger tank, then get the piranha, 15 gallon is to small for anything other than babies. Also just my opinion

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks, the black p im lookin at is around 2 inches, maybe smaller, so i think it will be ok for a while, just long enough for me to get enough money for a larger tank. what would a small black piranha eat?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.