Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a baby black P. in October. He used to be fairly active for about the first month, swimming around the tank, agresivaly chasing feeders he looked healthy. For about the last month though, he just hangs out in one corner of the tank and rarely swims around at all. Infact, sometimes he appears to be slightly on his side as if he's having trouble staying ballanced in the water? When feeders are in the tank, he will dart from his corner, take a bite and then go back to his corner of the tank, he just isn't active at all. He's always resting in the bottom back corner of the tank, appearing to be on his side somewhat. The water tests perfect and the tank is kept at 80. His color and everything looks great and his appetite is normal. He almost looks dead at times........just sitting in the corner, you can come back and check on him a few hours later, and he hasn't moved at all. Is this normal behavior? Any suggestions? Thanks!

· Registered
10,481 Posts
popcorn Posted Today, 04:01 PM
We got a baby black P. in October. He used to be fairly active for about the first month, swimming around the tank, agresivaly chasing feeders he looked healthy. For about the last month though, he just hangs out in one corner of the tank and rarely swims around at all. Infact, sometimes he appears to be slightly on his side as if he's having trouble staying ballanced in the water? When feeders are in the tank, he will dart from his corner, take a bite and then go back to his corner of the tank, he just isn't active at all. He's always resting in the bottom back corner of the tank, appearing to be on his side somewhat. The water tests perfect and the tank is kept at 80. His color and everything looks great and his appetite is normal. He almost looks dead at times........just sitting in the corner, you can come back and check on him a few hours later, and he hasn't moved at all. Is this normal behavior? Any suggestions? Thanks!
All sounds pretty normal to me. What were you expecting?

· Registered
2,040 Posts
Little Waffen said:
thats just how they are add a powerhead if you dont have one mine swims in it all the time :nod: and what size is he and how big is the tank? and welcome to p-fury

[snapback]825314[/snapback]​
thats what I was going to suggest. Add a powerhead.. this will force him to move a bit.. I also guess you can do what was stated above by "blackdude" -- put a rock there..

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. The P. is about 2" and the tank is 55gal. So, it's pretty normal for them to just lie around in one corner? I don't know quite what I was expecting.....more activity, I guess. He used to swim around the tank........I was also concerned cause he appears to be on his side alot. Our red bellys did that when they were freaked out, but this guy is habitually on his side..........Weird. Hmmmm.......Well, we'll put a plant in that corner and stick a powerhead in there. Thanks for the posts

· Registered
7,229 Posts
popcorn said:
Thanks for the suggestions. The P. is about 2" and the tank is 55gal. So, it's pretty normal for them to just lie around in one corner? I don't know quite what I was expecting.....more activity, I guess. He used to swim around the tank........I was also concerned cause he appears to be on his side alot. Our red bellys did that when they were freaked out, but this guy is habitually on his side..........Weird. Hmmmm.......Well, we'll put a plant in that corner and stick a powerhead in there. Thanks for the posts
[snapback]825650[/snapback]​
2" is still young and laying on its side is a defensive posture to prevent a belly bite.

· Registered
146 Posts
popcorn said:
[snapback]825291[/snapback]​
try adding a background to your tank, he may be a little skiddish of light. Also, add some plants and a strong power head, like a ac802( for a 70 gal.). this will also circulate the water temp. in the tank and there won't be temp. layers in the tank and give him some exercise.

· Registered
3,300 Posts
i think he found his chill spot.. my rhom does the same thing.. just chills in his spot then comes out and swims in the powerhead and roam the tank.. well b4 he was in a divided tank thats what he did but i doubt anythign is wrong as these guys previously said.. just add a powerhead

· Registered
554 Posts
Same as that...my rhom has his quiet spot in the tank, out of the way of the main currents. He often spends a lot of time there, just watching what's going on outside.
I don't think you have anything to worry about, it seems to be typical rhom behaviour....don't forget that rhoms are lurkers more than active hunters.

Rich

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I put a powerhead in, some more plants...........dropped in some feeders last night. He was still in that corner, on his side but did swim out to nip a goldfish once in a while, but the poor lil guy didn't make it
I woke up to find him dead this morning. I knew something wasn't quite right with him. Thanks for your help though and your suggestions.......I wish I knew what was wrong with him and could have saved him.......I don't get. Best wishes with your P's. I think I'll stick to red bellys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.