Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what size is a good size tank for just one black piranah? i dont want to put it with my reds...i havent got it yet but i want one! ima order one this weekend

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Depends on what size you are talking about. Rhoms are available from 1 inch to 16+. We need to know what size you are going to get, in order to make a proper recomendation.

~Dj

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
As soon as you decide to tell us what size Rhom your thinking about, we'll give all the other deatils from there on leaving you with no other questions to ask for.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
I would get a 55gallon and get the smallest you can so you can watch him grow slowly that is lol. Still would be fun though.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Getting a small rhom, and watching it grow, can prove to be more fustrating then fun. They are incredibly slow growers. My advise to you is get the size fish you want.

~Dj

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
InSinUAsian said:
Getting a small rhom, and watching it grow, can prove to be more fustrating then fun. They are incredibly slow growers. My advise to you is get the size fish you want.

~Dj
Watching it grow IS FRUSTRATING!!! But its your choice.. if you have patience then go. The count is split within this board by the past thread about it.

Honestly, you'll get cute responses posting a pic of small mean ones, than to get praised and get props for HUGE monster ones!!!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
question rhom owners, at waht size do you want to seperate the rhom juveniles to their solitary stage before you risk any casualties?

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
At no time should you have ANY rhom in the same tank. Some argue that its do-able since they seen it in the LFS, but thats purely temperary. In the home tank, even small juvies will shred each other.

~Dj

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well not too big because i will have my red bellies in a 55 gallon tank and didnt want to spend alot more money on another 55 gallon im only lookin on getting a baby....the growing part isnt that much of a deal to me but if i need a real big tank for one then i may just get another type of fish =)

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
lol if you get a small one you dont have to upgrade from a 30gal or 20gal or about 10 years! .5-1" a year growth. Do the math. I woudlnt worry to much when it comes to take space for rhoms. Not like they use ALL their tank space.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
InSinUAsian Posted on May 23 2003, 05:39 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At no time should you have ANY rhom in the same tank. Some argue that its do-able since they seen it in the LFS, but thats purely temperary. In the home tank, even small juvies will shred each other.

~Dj
Totally agree. Anyone that suggests otherwise is selling you a potentially damaged or dead fish.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
SnowCichlid Posted on May 23 2003, 03:23 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok thats kool, but then in the wild when they become fry how long is it before they seperate and go their own ways?
They don't, they form loose schools. Something that is a contradiction because it leaves you wondering why can they do it there and not in the home aquario?

It has to do with space. The reason why some of these dealers/hobbyist have a minimum of success rate is because they are kept in very close quarters where they can't simply turn around in bite. Does it mean they are going to be healthy and grow well?

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
I have a small rhom and I think it one of my most active fish(my large rhom bearly moves, and I have yet to see it eat).sure it grows slow, but it dosen't matter to me. and the best thing about tiny rhombeus is a small tank is ok, my rhombeus is in a 10 gallon tank and doing fine.ill eventually upgrade, but that will be a long time from now.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
If you´re getting a baby Rhom go for a 20g...if it´s a bigger one and you want it for life go for a 60-70g!

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
InSinUAsian said:

~Dj
sorry dj i dont agree with u i just started with pygos i love rhoms though and started with them if u have a big enough tabk well maybe not even that juvi rhoms will live together ive done it but maybe i was lucky i had to blacks both size of dime in 30 gallon for about a yr. then upgraded to 55 with them lasted almost another yr b4 casualties and that was quick and 1 was dead but b4 that no fin nipping anything just 1 day 1 was half eaten one stayed on 1 side one on another thats it but i once again i may have been lucky but almost 2 yrs? and i still have the 1 this may 5 yrs and hes about 7" now im proud daddy lol

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
hastatus said:
InSinUAsian Posted on May 23 2003, 05:39 AM

~Dj
Totally agree. Anyone that suggests otherwise is selling you a potentially damaged or dead fish.
frank was i just lucky then?

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
I wouldn't call it luck, more like fortunate.

It goes back to the topic of what non-pirana can live with piranas? The general consensus is plecos. But........and there is a BUT, they eventually get eaten over time.

There is nothing in concrete about longivity on how long a fish lives with piranas. Same goes with S. rhombeus vs S. rhombeus. There natural inclination is to bite fins and eat what they can eat including each other. They are in nature territorial and that is a natural rule that hobbyists continuously try to change with little to no success. In plain English, its the genetic makeup of the fish.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts