Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the ideal tank size of this guy? Also any one have one that would like to share any info about them. I have also heard that they are very aggressive is this true?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just got one 1.5 weeks ago, he's about 6 inches and still no red eye. I have him in a 55 gallon tank. I rarely see him because he's behind some rocks and not active when I have the lights on. Hopefully he will become more active

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Ideal tank size is as large as you can possibly provide, he will grow to be big.

If hes small now, you could probably have him in a 40 breeder or something with a similar footprint until he is around 6".

As with most P's, they can indeed be very aggressive, but the level of carnage from fish to fish will inevitably vary.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Piranha Guy said:
Would a 72g be good if he was at 6" for a year or two?
[snapback]896363[/snapback]​
a 72 gal should be perfect (depending on dimensions). One cannot even almost accurately tell you if it will be aggressive or not. I can tell you the piranhas i have are aggressive in the current location they are at. If I moved them, who knows what would happen. It really is that difficult to say whether or not a certain piranha will be aggressive.

edit: somewhere around 100-125 seems fair to me. It all depends on what you are willing to spend, and what the seller is willing to sell it for.

·
Registered
103 Posts
f242 said:
I just got one 1.5 weeks ago, he's about 6 inches and still no red eye. I have him in a 55 gallon tank. I rarely see him because he's behind some rocks and not active when I have the lights on. Hopefully he will become more active

[snapback]896318[/snapback]​
mine was the same, take my advice; remove all hiding plaes apart from some thin plants so he sees you even when hes hiding, that way hell get used to you, if he cant see you when he hides he will assume you cant see him and therefore will assume that is why you havent eaten him

·
Registered
146 Posts
thanks, last night I moved some big rocks that he hides behind and he got really pissed off, swimming around the tank not knowing what to do. I did keep some rocks for him to hide in but I think I had to many hiding spots!

hemichromis said:
f242 said:

[snapback]896318[/snapback]​
mine was the same, take my advice; remove all hiding plaes apart from some thin plants so he sees you even when hes hiding, that way hell get used to you, if he cant see you when he hides he will assume you cant see him and therefore will assume that is why you havent eaten him
[snapback]898029[/snapback]​

1 - 10 of 10 Posts