Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a week now since i got my "P" and im not sure if he's adjusted yet or still

adjusting he hides behind this Rock in my tank like 24/7 and if he's not there he's

in the right corner of my tank. My question is this typical "bdp" behavior or is he

still adjusting to his enviorment?!? Could you guys share some of your stories

you've had with your Rhom's and how there behavior changed as they gradually

adjusted.

I wanted to ask Pedro from aquascape bout him but I wasnt able to get a hold of him.

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
That's pretty standard behavior for a new fish. Mine settled really quickly but mine was an extraordinary specimen and shouldn't really be taken as what anyone else can expect.

A suggestion however, go buy a 20 gallon for your fish. A 10 gallon really isn't enough water or space for him and you might as well do it quickly before he gets adjusted and you have to acclimatize him to a new tank all over again. A 20 won't last for life, but with the slow growth of rhoms you've got a little while until he reaches 6 inches.

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
That's pretty standard behavior for a new fish. Mine settled really quickly but mine was an extraordinary specimen and shouldn't really be taken as what anyone else can expect.

A suggestion however, go buy a 20 gallon for your fish. A 10 gallon really isn't enough water or space for him and you might as well do it quickly before he gets adjusted and you have to acclimatize him to a new tank all over again. A 20 won't last for life, but with the slow growth of rhoms you've got a little while until he reaches 6 inches.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
elTwitcho said:

[snapback]855012[/snapback]​
Yea, your right I should upgrade to a 20 gallon hopefully soon. Oh, How long did it take for your Rhom to adjust and was there anything you did to help him adjust soo fast?

· Registered
1,693 Posts
rhoms just take time. there's no way around it unless you buy one that's a foot long and has no fear of anything. not to freak you out, but i had my 5.5" rhom in a 55gal. when i got him and i swear, he took four or five months to come out of his shell and stop hiding or doing the corner of the top of the tank thing. they're great when they finally do though. now he's great. i was so frustrated b/c really skittish at first. now he's agressive and attacks the magfloat, etc. glad i stuck him out.

· The Lord Himself is Life to me
3,861 Posts
This is pretty typical. As said before, it can take a good while before any serra gets adjusted to his tank. I would leave the tank as is and just let him be. But in the mean time, I would save up for a 40 gal setup. I have found with serras it is better to step them up in tank size in increments. This should last him for a while until he needs a 75 gal tank. The 40 gal should be more of a open setup. No large pieces of wood or rock for him to hide behind. Make sure the lighting is low. Have some low lying plants and some cover, but my rule of thumb is no more cover so that at any given point in the tank you can see him and him you. This way will help him get adjusted. If you have rocks and such for him to hide behind, it tends to encourage shyness. But remember it takes time and patience. So once the 40 gal is setup, don't mess with it too much. Good luck and good purchase.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
amazing slanted! i'd pin that somewhere under somekind of title on this post. it's a frequently asked question (i know i asked when bought my young rhom) and a very thorough yet concise answer that new serra owners can all benefit from.

· The Lord Himself is Life to me
3,861 Posts
dutchfrompredator said:
amazing slanted! i'd pin that somewhere under somekind of title on this post. it's a frequently asked question (i know i asked when bought my young rhom) and a very thorough yet concise answer that new serra owners can all benefit from.

[snapback]855425[/snapback]​
I am humbled by your kind words

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for all of the much needed Information, advice and for sharing

some of your stories.

Im sure other new rhom owners will find this thread as helpful as I did and help

put some of the new rhom owners at ease if there was ever a concern for there

new rhom. I guess time will only tell how long it takes for my Rhom to fully adjust

I just hope mine doesnt break any records for the longest Rhom ever to adjust

(knock on wood) knock knock.
Thanks again everyone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.