Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys just wondered if u use bio balls i have been told that they are great at keeping the water clear as im suffering with a bacterial bloom which i think is insufficient filteration

Attachments

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
i never heard keeping bio balls in the water clear...bio balls should be in a wet/dry sump for filteration for bacteria...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have ceramic rings and substrate then the sponges but its depresing with the water like this what can i do????????

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i have ceramic rings and substrate then the sponges but its depresing with the water like this what can i do????????
What filters are you running? What do you have in them?
When do you do water changes? Is the tank fully cycled?
This info will help determine what the problem is...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes its cycled and i run an ehiem with ceramic rings substrate and the sponges also do 30-50 water change each sunday. local fish shop said im killing my bacteria by doing such big water changes but i think thats bull ?

·
Registered
841 Posts
yes its cycled and i run an ehiem with ceramic rings substrate and the sponges also do 30-50 water change each sunday. local fish shop said im killing my bacteria by doing such big water changes but i think thats bull ?
Are you using a good water conditioner during your water changes? I usually use Seachem products so in this case Prime. Are you servicing your filter each time you do a water change? If you are that could be a problem, your cannister should probably be serviced about once a month in my expierence. Or when the flow rate has been reduced.

What are some water parameters, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH and KH? If it is a bacteria bloom a UV light will clear it up but it wont solve the root problem.

If you are using a good water conditioner and arent over servicing your filter than I would agree with you.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
that is bull because your supposed to do that....post up your params so we could take a look at whats maybe causing the problem for you

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i use good water conditioner(tetra) and i only service filter about every 6 weeks i will get test kit in the morning. is that true what the bloke from the local fish shop said??

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
cloudy water/bacteria bloom is usually a sign of decaying organic matter in the water. Make sure you do'nt overfeed, that there aren't any food leftovers or dead plants etc in the tank. And clean your gravel and mechanical filter media regularly.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i use good water conditioner(tetra) and i only service filter about every 6 weeks i will get test kit in the morning. is that true what the bloke from the local fish shop said??
Don't believe the fish shop guy. 50% waterchanges are fine since almost all bacteria colonize in the filter media.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well thats what i thought local fish shop guys suck lol. can u setup your filters incorrectly to stop them working as they should?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not sure if you can get any in England, but try some Calcium Montmorillonite. It's used by many Crystal Red Shrimp breeders in Japan for years. Since i've been breeding CRS i've added it to all of my tanks and it's amazing how clear your water will be afterward.

It's very powerful and will help bind any microscopic mycotoxins in your water. This is often what causes the water to turn white known as "algae blooms". I've seen it sold on ebay as a koi water treatment or a way to get rid of algae, but bottom line is it will help ANY of your tanks.

If you have trouble finding any and would like to try some out let me know. I keep sevral pounds on hand at all times.

Good luck.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mine looked the same way until i ran a diatom filter for a few days, The water cleared right up and has been since.

If you can get one to borrow, you only need it for a short time, its not something you leave running.

Later

1 - 15 of 15 Posts