Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the proper setup for a 38 gallon tank housing 1 RBP (I mean the whole nine

yards, heaters, filters, powerheads, sand/gravel, ). I am in college and that means Im also on

a budget. I want to get reliable products at a reasonable price. Is BIGALSONLINE.COM a good

place to shop? I just want one baby RBP. The reason I am asking is because I know very

little on the quality of aquarium products. I am a NOVICE, but I want to do things the right way

from the start. THANK YOU AND I GREATLY APPRECIATE THE KNOWLEDGE ON THIS

FORUM!!!!!!!

· Peace....Through Superior Firepower
10,552 Posts
pyrokingbrand said:
What would be the proper setup for a 38 gallon tank housing 1 RBP (I mean the whole nine

yards, heaters, filters, powerheads, sand/gravel, ). I am in college and that means Im also on

a budget. I want to get reliable products at a reasonable price. Is BIGALSONLINE.COM a good

place to shop? I just want one baby RBP. The reason I am asking is because I know very

little on the quality of aquarium products. I am a NOVICE, but I want to do things the right way

FORUM!!!!!!!

[snapback]863952[/snapback]​
What up p-king , Welcome aboard ...
Me personnally Id go with a Penguin 330 or if you can I know your saving money , go to walmart and get a Regent Hang-on filter witht he Bio-wheels , works the same as a Penguin 330
Heater Id say , A hundred watt ? Sorry But i never had a tank that small to heat
besides the hospital tank ...
Big als is cool , they just take long sometimes on shipping it and getting it out , but it does get to ya .
I would do a littte research on cycleing , before getting started ...

Good Luck ..

· Registered
987 Posts
pyrokingbrand said:

FORUM!!!!!!!

[snapback]863952[/snapback]​
Email me at [email protected] and i will show you my 38 gallon setup.

But if u just want generals go with harleys suggestion on filter. The heater, go ahead and go with the 100 w because its like $1.00 cheaper for half the wattage. With the substrate go to a local gravel store, or sometimes even a petstore will carry a very fine riverbed gravel that i got for 14 cents per lb. Also only one RBP? I would prob. go with a diff. kind of piranha. But its up to you. My powerhead is a rio800 that i bought for $20.00, although it is not nessesary. I would buy some driftwood also for its hiding spot, and have some wax paper and duct tape available so i can show u how i dimmed my lights to make my p's more sociable.

· Registered
82 Posts
Hi I know you said you are on a budget so I will tell you my friends set up. He has a 30 gallon tank and it didnt cost much to set up. He has an Aquaclear 500 on it but he had a smaller aquaclear 300 on it. The 500 gives more filtration and isnt to expensive $32.00 on petco.com. Gets to you in 2 days. First time buyers get 10 % off. I would get about 150 watt heater. My friend has a whisper heater he bought for $15.00. He also had a spare underwater filter. That pushes water like a powerhead and cleans the water so he didnt buy a powerhead. But I would save for a Powerhead later on if you cant afford it now. Like they said get some gravel from some where just remember your the one who has to live with what you choose. My friend got some rocks at the store and made a cave for his P. Slate and 2 other rocks total cost of $8.00. Then get some live plants like amazon sword and plant them to make the tank look good. Thats his set up I will post a pic. He isnt to fancy yet but like you he just started his tank. Buys stuff when he has money and so on. I would really suggest you to cycle it first tho.

View attachment 46424

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.