Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 3 inch crayfish for my rhom this afternoon. Crayfish went in at 4pm. I came home at 11 and noticed a big chunk had been taken out of this little guy.

Just had to express my happiness
He's becoming more aggressive by the day. One day he will be hand-fed. For now, I can only hope he will eat in front of me one of these days. Maybe when he becomes a little more adjusted to the tank.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
humm sweet, It can take some time for it to get used to the tank, Is there just one p in there, if so he might take longer to get used to the tank.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I agree, I have red bellies and for the first week they would all hide whenever I was around. Now, they still are a little skitterish(its the second week) but will eat as long as I'm a good 5 feet from the tank. Give them time, agression will come.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hydro, u sound like me a couple months ago. Here's what I've observed and come up with. We all know that piranha don't vary in personality and behavior by species, they vary in personality and behavior as individuals. However, we can generalize behavior by species, but individual similarities and differences exist.

From my experience with my rhom, I think the biggest factor in getting him to eat was first getting him acclimated and fairly comfortable with his surroundings. The best way I know how is to get the largest tank you can afford that will fit into the room that the tank is going in. I darkened the tank as much as possible by painting the back and bottom black. I added a large floating plastic plant for shade and coverage. I didn't put any bottom deco or driftwood in the tank because even though it is a 180, the rhom would still need every inch of that foot print to maneuver. I also don't use lights. The room lights are sufficient, but not to good for taking pics or vids :D , but as you know I am going for what's good for the rhom and not so much what's good for me.
Within a week the rhom ate 4 out of the 8 African cichlids. Week 2 they were all gone. Afterwards he continues to eat in front of me. Often times he will come to the tank and beg for food.
I must admit though that if there is too much light in the room he does tend to act a little more skittish. All and all I think he is fairly comfortable. He swims and explores the tank constantly eyeballs me and the TSN. I think he is always pondering whether or not he should take another chunk out of the TSN. I noticed the less often I feed him the more often he swims by and blows up on the TSN.

I hope that rhom will eventually eats in front of you. I hope it's just a matter of time :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I hope mine grows as big as your monster chud.

Chud relates better guys because we have serrasalmus species as opposed to a red belly (pygocentrus).

He's more active now. What's your temp at Chud?mine's around 80.something

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hydro, here are my water parameters:

pH: 7.0
temp 81F
kH 120ppm

Seems like you have your temp set right. IMO, I think it's very important to test your water frequently for pH and kH once your tank has already been cycled just so you understand the pattern. Once your familiar with the pattern, testing only becomes necessary whenever you encounter a problem.

I hope your rhom gets to be a monster. I am interested in how your boy does :D Take real good care of him. Keep the water quality high.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts