Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a lot of people asking about putting big & small P's in the same tank. Given the personality of my fish I have not had major problems. But i have noticed some of my smaller p's attacking the aggressor who is much bigger. When the little P's feel endangered, I have seen them go for an eye. Must be their defensive instinct or self preservation. Wouldn't you do the same?

If you are going to add smaller P's to your tank keep these things in mind.
1) Plenty of room.
2) Hiding spots where small p's can hide
3) Feed them very well.
4) Keep temp down to about 76-78 degrees.
I have added many smaller fish. And i have had the results as above. Hope this helps and keep an eye out.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
yes i agree with you on this one i added 2 2 1/2 '' reds with my bigger ones @ 6-7'' at the time and made a few hiding spots and gave them more swimming space and fed twice a day for @ 3 months and had no problems, i did this as i could not find reds within an inch of the larger ones size

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
lots of room is always a key to spreading out some aggresion although however in some circumstances leaving fish with less room can be just as affective :cool: but I like the more room idea better :D . also the temperature you suggested 78F wouldn't really be considered "low" rather just "not so high" ... P's can survive in colder temperatures as well IMO

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but I like the more room idea better

Me too. Room to move freely. Keeps them from being harassed (as much) by the bigger ones

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
with plenty of room they would be fine. Although every p different, they should be OK. An being that smaller p's grow faster than larger ones, size difference will become similliar in no time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts