Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im working on get 3 large ternetzis all over 10" what im worried about is its a 10 hour drive back with em.i got a power inverter to run a air pump and a large rubbermaid tub that be good enough? can i keep all 3 in the same container or do they need to be in seperate ones? andyone that has done this before help!!!im dumping a large sum of money here and want to make sure they will be ok

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Hmmmmmmm......................when Nate brought The Tern to my house it was in a 5 Gal. bucket, but she's only 7.5" and it's a half hour drive.....what you haver going sounds like a good plan, but you'd probly want to seperate them....that's just what i would think....

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
If you had a large cooler and a pump, I think they should be okay. I think a cooler would be the best way to go since the top would be able to close. Just make sure that water gets airated real good. When I say large cooler, im thinking pretty much the biggest ones they make. Coolers will also prevent flucuation in temperature also. Thats what I used on my 13 hour drive from portland oregon to san francisco Ca.

~Dj

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
big fish use up alot more air than 7.5" fish

you should get them their own tupperware bins get them about 20g size, fill them just deep enough for teh fish to stay submerged say 2" deeper than the fish is tall

buy battery powered airpumps, they are about $9 each and give each fish one also

keep the car cool about 70 degrees and out of direct sunlight

trust me on the individual container and air pumps, they will need it when they are that big, and whats the extra $20 for all that stuff when you are buying close to a thousand dollars of fish

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
p.m rhomzilla he brought back some big ass rbp alive..10 hour drive too..

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I don't think seperating the fish will be necessary, because imo. they will be too stressed out and scared to fight.
A battery pump is a good idea, but also not necessary, imo, as lon as you keep the container's lit open: the movement of the car will agitate the water surface enough to provide ample oxygenation.
But on the other hand: better safe than sorry, especially with such expensive fish...

Anyways: good luck :smile:

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Judazzz said:
I don't think seperating the fish will be necessary, because imo. they will be too stressed out and scared to fight.
A battery pump is a good idea, but also not necessary, imo, as lon as you keep the container's lit open: the movement of the car will agitate the water surface enough to provide ample oxygenation.
But on the other hand: better safe than sorry, especially with such expensive fish...

Anyways: good luck :smile:
its not fighting for the reason to seperate them, its oxygen use, stressed fish gasp the whole time

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
As far as transport just ensure one thing --> reliable air source. Ternetzi are very active during shipment/transport and will tolerate colder waters. You can use a 35"L x 20 3/8"W x 17"H , 30 gal Sterilite storage container or larger, fill with existing tank water to accomodate ternetzi's girth so they dont slam the bottom of the container during transfer. After transfer fill with more water till level reaches 3-4" to the top (to avoid spillage). Then use a reliable airsource. I recommend Walmarts aerator for live wells can be found in the boat section. LFS should carry alternate battery powered aerators for under $20.00.

Just remember to check them every 2-3 hrs to ensure they are still getting air. Carry a backup aerator and batteries, extra towels for spillage, and the rest are optional for emergency--> water conditioner, 1-2 gal store bought water, plugin aerator, and heater . Its best to carry additional support equipment . Never know what can go wrong during the trip.

Ive made a 14 hr round trip and a 20 + hr round trip and never lost a pygo.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
P's are pretty hardy fish. I dont think a 10 hr drive will require a heater. To give you some idea. A while ago a friend of mine kept 4, yes 4 6 inch, reds in a bucket with only a air stone (no heater) alive for 21 days before he realized that he would not have the tank space for them he anticipated.

P's are very hardy fish, and do not sucumb to such trivial things as not having a heater for a short period of time. How many times have you heard of people having power outages? Or realizing, after god knows how long, that thier heater is defective and in need of replacing.

I wouldnt worry about it so much. Your main concern is aeration of the water, especially with such big fish. When you make stops on your road trip, just give your fish a little check. make sure that the airstone is still providing air. Sometimes they will float to the top in a container, so make sure its always under the water surface to provide good aeration. Other then that, good luck and post some pics when you get them.

~Dj

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Drove from SF to Portland and back. 10 hr drive, 600+ miles with (8) 7-9" RBs and 15 frys all in a 50 gal rubbermaid container. When picking up your new Ps, have at least 3" waterline over the size of the Ps for the journey. Use as much from their previous aquarium water, and use 2 air raiders ($10) to ensure a safe trip. Close the container and place it in the trunk since its enclosed, hindering any airflow to go through. Also I adivse the trunk because heat from the exhaust rises up to the bottom of the container which helps as a heater altenative.

Im planning to go to Vegas this weekend to p/u a 11" Piraya doing the same procedure. This method works real well and less worrysome.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
RhomZilla said:
Drove from SF to Portland and back. 10 hr drive, 600+
Man it took me a few more hours then that to make the drive. I did stop at one of those rest stops along the way though. Its pretty nice to drive through northern california. Alot of stuff up there that I never seen before. Mt. Shasta, redwood forest. And then you get into oregon, and its SOOO rural. Nothing like california at all. Must be boring to live up there.

~Dj

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
InSinUAsian said:
RhomZilla said:
Drove from SF to Portland and back. 10 hr drive, 600+
Man it took me a few more hours then that to make the drive. I did stop at one of those rest stops along the way though. Its pretty nice to drive through northern california. Alot of stuff up there that I never seen before. Mt. Shasta, redwood forest. And then you get into oregon, and its SOOO rural. Nothing like california at all. Must be boring to live up there.

~Dj
We actually drove non-stop. Even Hollywood was amazed on how we got there so fast. Left SF 3 pm and got there close to midnight. Rented a motel for 5 hrs, woke up at 6am, met Arnold, then bounced back home. going home took 10+ hrs though..

And yeah, the trip to Oregon is beautiful!!! Mt/Lake Shasta, hills, greens..ect

1 - 18 of 18 Posts