Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some 2'' reds and wondering what the best thing to feed them would be. I live in south dakota and have no nearby petshops or anything it was tough just to find a decent size tank. So i am just lookin for ideas since i cant go just go to the pet store and get shrimp or feeder fish. I ve been thinkin about getting minnows from a bait shop but am worried about sreading disease or something or is it safe also are they large enouh to feed minnows?

obviously never have owned preditor fish

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Minnows are a good food source (less risky than goldfish), but keep in mind that any new fish (wheter it's a feeder or an additional piranha) can introduce dideases into your tank...

Other good food items are shrimp, squid, mussels, fish fillet (no cod: gets flaky and messes up your water), chicken, beef heart, frozen mosquito larvae or bloodworm cubes, regular flakes, worms etc...

It doesn't matter much what you will choose from the items listed above: most important is to keep the diet as diverse as possible...

*Moved to Feeding and Nutrition Forum*

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Varied food is the key man...try beefheart, shrimp, fish fillets, crab...you can buy it anywhere...!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I usually give freeze dried brine shrimp or bloodworks for baby Ps. Less to worry about disease or clouding up the water form other food source. Plus you will def see rapid growth.

·
Quintessential 80s Guy
5,857 Posts
All I can say is Raw Shrimp baby! Beefheart is also good but raw shrimp is pretty cheap and it is very nutritious. I have also heard from people that it helps bring out the color of your P's. Make sure to thaw it out for a few minutes then once you throw it in, it starts to sink and they chase after it and rip it to pieces.

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
when my reds were 2-3" i found out the best food for them was frozen bloodworms,brineshrimp and frozen beefheart.a couple of weeks later they all have big fat bellies and are growing nicely

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
BeansAranguren said:
All I can say is Raw Shrimp baby! Beefheart is also good but raw shrimp is pretty cheap and it is very nutritious. I have also heard from people that it helps bring out the color of your P's. Make sure to thaw it out for a few minutes then once you throw it in, it starts to sink and they chase after it and rip it to pieces.
Your correct in every aspect
But you'd have to cut up teeny tiny pieces of shrimp or beefheat for them to eat. Your Ps are still babies and would not be able to finish way large chunks thrown in the tank, which eventually just cloud and smell in your tank a few hrs later

1 - 8 of 8 Posts