Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the lFS guy convinced me Hikari Cichlid Gold is the best staple food for my Red Devil. He seems to love it as he stuffed like 5 pellets worth in his throat and chewed like mad haha. Here are the facts:

Crude Protein: 40%

Crude fat: 4% <---nice n low

crude fiber: 4%

moisture: max 9%

ash max 12% <---what is ash?

·
Danse Macabre&#33;
10,561 Posts
I agree that Hikari is the best staple, but one pellet is going to f*ck up your fish's digestive system. I use Hikari gold which is fish and shrimp based with Hikari excel which is spirulina based. I feed twice a day, one feeding of each.

Tried to rotate some HBH SA cichlid color in there, fish hated it.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wrong forum cus this is feeding and nutrition question, right? err?

Twitcho--how will it f*ck up his system? Too much food?

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
Filo said:
Wrong forum cus this is feeding and nutrition question, right? err?

Twitcho--how will it f*ck up his system? Too much food?

[snapback]822134[/snapback]​
would the people who visit the piranha feeding and nutrition know what is best for cichlids?

and it will not exactly mess up theirdigestive systems, but it isnt exactly healthy for them to just get on type of food. variety is best w/ all fish

·
G&#39;Dam Mudda Fokka
5,466 Posts
lemmywinks said:
would the people who visit the piranha feeding and nutrition know what is best for cichlids?

and it will not exactly mess up theirdigestive systems, but it isnt exactly healthy for them to just get on type of food. variety is best w/ all fish

[snapback]822146[/snapback]​
Well I do plan to give him his bi-weekly crickets. Does that cuont for variety? Maybe crickets/worms/pellets. I just dont want him to get hooked on live food too much that he holds out for it.

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
KumbiaQueens said:
Well I do plan to give him his bi-weekly crickets. Does that cuont for variety? Maybe crickets/worms/pellets. I just dont want him to get hooked on live food too much that he holds out for it.
[snapback]822316[/snapback]​
you dont only have to feed them live foods. some food for varity could be krill, earthworm, mealworms, blood worms, and crickets. just try to feed him somethng other than pellets 2-3 times a week

·
4,053 Posts
I just refreshed and seen lemmy beat me on the reply.

You could probally also try flakes (for now) either by surface float or dropping into the filter flow so they rocket in the tank. He'd probally eat peas, and fresh chopped shrimp.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whoa lol, i was logged under kumbia's name. Thanks for the replies guys, I will try to give him a variety even more than now. He currently has occasional plankton, flakes, and crickets. But pellets being the staple.

PEAS? as in frozen peas? just thaw them out?

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
Filo said:
Whoa lol, i was logged under kumbia's name. Thanks for the replies guys, I will try to give him a variety even more than now. He currently has occasional plankton, flakes, and crickets. But pellets being the staple.
PEAS? as in frozen peas? just thaw them out?
[snapback]822388[/snapback]​
sounds good.

and many cichlids love vegie's. my red devil eats romaine lettuce every now and then

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
thats all i use on my cichlids is hikari. good food IMO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts