Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
923 Posts
I think that will stress them out because they are shy and need some cover. Have you tried putting a powerhead so they will swim against the water flow from it. You can also dim the lights.

· Nurses Do It Better
8,819 Posts
imo activity in tank will pick up and youll probably have to do less vacuuming along the sand bed because what the p's kick up will get picked up by your filters.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
kev4321 said:
with no decor they will just sit at the bottom with a bare tank... they wont be more active... they will be way less active... your gonna have to wait a couple months before they get to know you and the surroundings. Then they will pop out and rule their environment...
[snapback]870764[/snapback]​
Actually, I have a bare 110 with only gravel at the bottom. My RB's are constantly swimming around all over the tank. Makes it really easy to see the fish, duh. Also, they haven't been any more skittish than when I did have decor in the tank.

· Registered
639 Posts
Most people dislike the looks of a bare tank because it's "boring" and such, but I personally have nothing but bare tanks (gravel bottoms), and like it.

When I went from a planted and decorated tank to a bare tank, my fish did begin to swim more (within 2-3 days), and of course had more room to swim. They also began to utilize the entire tank, compared to when it was decorated. My fish also became much less skittish, and became much more comfortable with me, after the removal of the decor.

Tank maitanance is much easier, and much less time consuming.

The only thing I did when I removed the decor was to dim the lights in my tanks. I no longer had plants that needed the light, so there was no reason to leave the bulbs at full brightness.

Come to think of it, I can't think of one single reason (other than looks if that's your thing) that a bare tank would be considered a negative move for your tank and/or fish.

· I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
14,634 Posts
Regardless if the tank is bare or not, Ps will find a certain spot in the tank to claim as territory. I wouldn't advise having a bare tank. Beneficial bacteria are established in your filters and other subsrate, but not quite enough compared to colonizing on your substrate (gravel). Also dropsye(sp?) (eyes drooping down as seen on some Arrowanas) can occur, due to fish attracted to their reflection, within time.

Moved to Tank and Equipment Question

· Go Bucks!
3,074 Posts
My 75 is bare mainly because everything I put in the tank they destroy. With the bare tank mine are no less or more active than when I had wood and plants. I'm going to upgrade soon and I will go back to wood and plants when they have more room.

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My tank is a 55 gal. I removed all the decor and the next day I emediately saw an increase in activity. The p's are now using the whole tank when they swim and they aren't their usual colour of a dull black. They have lightened up and are showing their red more. I actually prefer the bare tank to the decorated tank because it makes you focus more on the fish and you don't have to always look at them in the same spot. They swim around in a pack now just like in the wild.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.