Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any pictures of what the beneficial bacteria should look like on your biomedia? because I am pretty sure it should'nt look like what I got. My biomedia has long "Moss Like" "Grime Like" crap on it. It almost looks like a dark muddy substance. I am not sure if this is good or bad? And the substance is only on top of the biomedia (like the top 25% of the biomedia) and not fully submerged with this stuff. I do 25% water changes every week. The only thing I got in my tank now is about 2 feet of driftwood and, Three 4-1/2inch RBP's, a pleco, and a couple giant danios. My filters are and Aquatech 30-60 (kinda like a penguin with no bio wheels) and a Whisper 30-60, I know my filters are not that great but they should do the job. Its a 55 gallon. I got my water tested a week ago, and i had a tad bit high ammonia, and the lady at the LFS said I had low either nitrates or nitrites, not sure which one it was but she said that it was low because I did not have enough beneficial bacteria in my tank. My ph was low because of the wood so that is good. If anyone has any pictures of what there beneficial bacteria looks like on the biomedia, post them, because I seriously think something looks wrong with mine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Does anyone have any pictures of what the beneficial bacteria should look like on your biomedia? because I am pretty sure it should'nt look like what I got. My biomedia has long "Moss Like" "Grime Like" crap on it. It almost looks like a dark muddy substance. I am not sure if this is good or bad? And the substance is only on top of the biomedia (like the top 25% of the biomedia) and not fully submerged with this stuff. I do 25% water changes every week. The only thing I got in my tank now is about 2 feet of driftwood and, Three 4-1/2inch RBP's, a pleco, and a couple giant danios. My filters are and Aquatech 30-60 (kinda like a penguin with no bio wheels) and a Whisper 30-60, I know my filters are not that great but they should do the job. Its a 55 gallon. I got my water tested a week ago, and i had a tad bit high ammonia, and the lady at the LFS said I had low either nitrates or nitrites, not sure which one it was but she said that it was low because I did not have enough beneficial bacteria in my tank. My ph was low because of the wood so that is good. If anyone has any pictures of what there beneficial bacteria looks like on the biomedia, post them, because I seriously think something looks wrong with mine.
How often do you change the media? It could just be all the build up.
bri

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tank has been running for about 5 1/2 months, and someone told me to NEVER change your biomedia so I never touched it. Pics will be up soon.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
yes thats bacteria, if needed, you can rinse the sponges off with some tank
water, do not use sink water because the chlorine will kill off you bacteria.

·
Registered
432 Posts
That's looks like crap and is probably leeching back into your tank. One of the main reasons I don't like HOB filters. How much space do you have behind that slot? The HOB filter I have I put extra small bio balls from my fluval filter in the back so I can rince the grimey filter at least once a month. Although it does have beneficial bacteria that you need it also has a TON of dirt and crap that you don't and there is no way to avoid putting it back into your tank unless you give it a GOOD cleaning.

If you have a small amount of space put about 20 rings behind the filter. Here is what you want to buy.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
That's looks like crap and is probably leeching back into your tank. One of the main reasons I don't like HOB filters. How much space do you have behind that slot? The HOB filter I have I put extra small bio balls from my fluval filter in the back so I can rince the grimey filter at least once a month. Although it does have beneficial bacteria that you need it also has a TON of dirt and crap that you don't and there is no way to avoid putting it back into your tank unless you give it a GOOD cleaning.

If you have a small amount of space put about 20 rings behind the filter. Here is what you want to buy.

yes and no to the above stated, the filter floss is good stuff, but it needs to be cleaned with
tank water as needed, the rings will do the same thing but will take up more room
in that filter.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts

Believe it or not I actually agree with you on this....
Except for the part of not liking HOB's which imo are easy to maintain once you understand common filtration function as how it deals with waste.

assclown -- floss is useless for beneficial bacteria, it is only good for mechanical filtration. I am not sure if you really meant sponges which are good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hang on backs are gold to alot of people, i've got them on everything.

at the petshop i work at, everyone seems to come in proudly telling me how they tore apart their filters and scrubbed ALL the garbage out of them, and are ready to get some new fish for their sparkling clean tank.

A little grime is good, thats what an established filter looks like =)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
imo it looks fine mine get much worse before i touch them i do rinse of the filter floss more often

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well believe it or not I use 1 HOB for a 40 long tank, but found I have to use more calcium Montmorillonite to get the same level of water quality of a canister because I don't have the ability to add 3 different types of media in a HOB. However it's about 100X easier to clean.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts