Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, whenever they get startled, my p's feel the need to swim behind the intake of the power filter. Neither of them are small enough to really fit behind it, so it flexes out so they can fit. once i noticed that one of the p's eyes was kind of puffy and i think it is from trying to squeeze behind the filter. is there anything i can do to discourage them from doing this? is it possible they think it is providing some cover and want to be behind it? one of my main problems with them is that they are too big to hide behind plastic plants or anything, so they're usually just out in the open.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
is there anything i can do to discourage them from doing this? is it possible they think it is providing some cover and want to be behind it? one of my main problems with them is that they are too big to hide behind plastic plants or anything, so they're usually just out in the open.
You are observing correctly, they are looking for hiding places and you should provide more cover until they are past the juvenile stage, usually after 6 inches or 2 years whichever comes first.

Some of these answers are available via the OPEFE web site. OPEFE Web site

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately, they're both over 3 years old and well over 6 inches... but i bought them and the tank from the guy that raised them about 6 months ago. could the relocation be the source of this problem?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, there's two of them, along with a 10" pleco. the whole time i've had them, they have been pretty unaggressive towards anything. i even have a few blue gourami living in the tank that they wholly ignore.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, the tank is in our main living room, near the tv. i guess there's a fair amount of traffic at night, but not too much during the day.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
I'm going to make a guess at this, and you can probably check with the previous owner, but it seems those fish are probably not used to human traffic. Fairly common. You can help things along by putting black paper on each side of the aquario to block side views and perhaps afford them a bit more cover as in more plants or rocks to help them re-establish themselves. This will take time and patience something that you will have to learn. Please keep me updated either here or PM.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
I'm going to make a guess at this, and you can probably check with the previous owner, but it seems those fish are probably not used to human traffic. Fairly common. You can help things along by putting black paper on each side of the aquario to block side views and perhaps afford them a bit more cover as in more plants or rocks to help them re-establish themselves. This will take time and patience something that you will have to learn. Please keep me updated either here or PM.
frank (hastasus)

this is on similar lines to what i was going to add so at least i know i am on the right track as too looking after my p's.
this is similar to what i advised on a previous post

judazzz is definately correct on this one ,lower light and spending more time around a tank gets them used to you ,also dont take out all the hiding places as they will need to feel safe and having no place to hide will stress them out,thier is no quick fix to this problem you will have to give it time they will have to feel secure in your presence before the loose the skittishness.
my p's always stay calm and never dart when i go near to the tank which i do slowly ,when my g/f goes towards the tank they go nuts so it is what they get used to well for my p's anyway.

at the moment my new piraya is hiding as he has only been in his new enviroment for a couple of days but i did make new hiding spots for him as i expected this when i re arranged my tank to add him but i am practising what i preach and he will be ok soon
dixon (overbite)
sorry for the long post
dixon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts