Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looking forward to searching this site for useful information.

I just had a quick question. I am one of those "must have", "can't wait" type of individuals. A friend of mine has a very nice aquarium, and I have been eyeing it for quite some time. Now, I'm looking to get one for my apartment.

The only problem is that I'm very new at this, and before I go and spend an arm and a leg on equipment, I would like to buy a "kit" to see how everything goes. Would it be wise to go ahead, and buy a kit containing all the correct equipment for Piranha's? Would a simple kit "less expensive" be okay for 2 Piranha's? I was thinking a min. of 45 gallon tank.

More than anything, I would like some opinions,, yay's or nay's about the kits.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi and welcome

A starter kit sounds great, as long as you have all the stuff you need ie pump, heater and maybe an air pump all should be fine.

Because you are new remember to make sure that you cycle the tank first before you go buying any piranhas or you could be just throwing money down the drain!. Also make sure you read plenty about your piranhas too as you want to make sure that your piranhas are healthy and you understand whats not only best for you but best for the fish also.

Good luck with what ever you decide and you will get some great advice from this forum!

Take it easy

T

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome Technium.

Indeed, this forum looks to be well layed out and informative. Can't wait!

I will definitely be reading before buying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice to meet you Death in #'s :smile:

Looks like I will be having a tank full of Gold Fish for a month for the cycle process

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
Personally, I would not purchase a starter kit. They are usually put together for basic community fish setups and will not have enough filtration for fish as messy as piranha. I would research the necessary equipment required to setup a tank for p's (heater, pump or powerhead, filter, water conditioner, fish food, gravel and misc. decor) and purchase everything individually. It's a little more expensive but you know you are using quality equipment. Most of the starter kits I've seen use an undergravel filter (which I don't recommend).

Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome, I am a newbie here too.

I am also the type of person who rush into buying something that I want..... Impulse buying.......but I guess most of us are

Well, I guess the best way is to plan ahead before buying anything, or you may end up spending more than required.

Start by asking yourself..... what Ps you want and how many? Once you have decided on the Ps you want....... research on the size of tank needed....... its better to get a tank large enough to accomodate the Ps you want for lifetime without tank upgrade.

I agree that Ps are a messy eater....... hence, I really recomend a really good filter setup.....

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
DonH said:
Personally, I would not purchase a starter kit. They are usually put together for basic community fish setups and will not have enough filtration for fish as messy as piranha. I would research the necessary equipment required to setup a tank for p's (heater, pump or powerhead, filter, water conditioner, fish food, gravel and misc. decor) and purchase everything individually. It's a little more expensive but you know you are using quality equipment. Most of the starter kits I've seen use an undergravel filter (which I don't recommend).

Welcome to the board.
I agree, starter kits have the lowest quality filters and heaters, your better off finding a proper size tank and buying the filters and heater serprate.

you say you want 2 piranha's I suggest getting 3 so that the most dominite dosen't gang up on the other, its aggresion will be spread out.

I would suggest a 65 gallon min if you don't want to upgrade.stay away from a 55 gallon its not wide enough.you should be able to find one rather affordable. I would add a 200 watt heater and posibly x2 penguin 330 filters or x2 aqua clear 300's or mix one of each.buy them online at www.bigalsonline.com and save.

and of course you need a declorinator to remove the chlorine in the water.

the rest is up to you, you may add any color gravel and decorations you want

·
Registered
891 Posts
are these your first fish, if so dont start with piranhas. bad idea, get some experience with some community fish first, then work your way up to aggressive. good starter kits are those Eclipse tanks with the built in bio wheel. good luck

·
Registered
254 Posts
This will not be my first fish, however, it's been over 10 years since my last. I would consider myself a newbie

My father and I had a large aquarium.. errm large at the time (40 gallons), where we kept Tiger Oscars. Very nice looking fish.

I most likely will focus on Piranha's now. My main focus is going to be setting up my tank correctly, and making sure the water cycles properly and the settings are correct.

I was pricing equipment today, and the fish. Does $3.00 Canadian for baby Piranha's seem too cheap?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
yes....3 dollars is VERY cheap the ones at my lfs are less then a cm and they are 7 $

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
oh and from my experence starter kits are great thats all i have i have an eclipse starter kit and a hagen (the exclipse was way more expensive) i think a starter kit would be good but if u do get one i suggest getting another filter.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I am more of a "put it together yourself" type of guy. As stated before, starter kits are usually intended for community tropical fish and by no means meet the requirement for P's. I would just buy good equipment from the begining, even thought it may be a little more $$, and save in the long run. If you buy cheap equipment now, you WILL be upgrading in the future. Save yourself the time and money. Get what you need from the beginging.

~Dj

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
InSinUAsian said:
I am more of a "put it together yourself" type of guy. As stated before, starter kits are usually intended for community tropical fish and by no means meet the requirement for P's. I would just buy good equipment from the begining, even thought it may be a little more $$, and save in the long run. If you buy cheap equipment now, you WILL be upgrading in the future. Save yourself the time and money. Get what you need from the beginging.

~Dj
I agree, Go with the name brands on filtration, pumps, heating and tanks. You will thank yourself later. You can still get a pretty cheap setup that way too. I have heard of filters and heaters quit working while they are away and their fish die.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I agreee also, look ahead and get the best names in the market to get all reliable products. No worries, No hassels and no stress..

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Black Piranha said:
are these your first fish, if so dont start with piranhas. bad idea, get some experience with some community fish first, then work your way up to aggressive. good starter kits are those Eclipse tanks with the built in bio wheel. good luck
my first fish where piranha's and tropical fish, I kind of jumped into keeping fish and went nuts, but I don't regret a thing.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
i agree i started out with goldfish when i was a kid didnt get anything until i turned 20 and started getting piranhas...i think they are better than grabbing a goldfish and learning because goldfish usually die quickly even though my first one lived 2 years and i was doing full water changes before i knew about cycling or anything....a piranha can handle just about anything they are very fun to watch, to feed...unlike alot of other fish which only eat flakes...i suggest getting a piranha for your first fish...but dont get just 2 get 3 or 4 with a 75 gallon tank...they will be good for life...and yes i would also suggest waiting and getting good pumps and filters because the ones that come with the tanks usually are crappy........ when i first got my piranhas i got 4 babies in a 55 gallon...then after dumping them in fresh water not cycled i started reading here and i freaked out haha but these guys helped me out alot and i owe it all to them
research on some good equiptment and cycle your tank...get a few babies and enjoy them!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts