Piranhas Forum banner

Before this gets buried again

664 views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  hastatus 
#1 ·
#2 ·
well, it looks like Oregon will undergo what other states have successfully done. Worst come to worst... you will be living like myself... having to find people to buy piranhas from and have them shipped to you. People always talk about their lfs having piranhas for sale, overstocked etc.... I have no idea how that would feel simply because they are illegal here,,

It is very sad that people are unaware (uneducate) about piranha awareness!! Good luck.. I do hope Oregon does not come under the wraps that other states have...

#5 ·
Its wack man.............just caus ppl found a few P's in their rivers. Those fish shouldnt have been ther in the first place..........we should find the ppl that let loose their p's and stomp them..........then throw them in the river they filled with piranhas and see if they enjoy it.

#9 ·
Living in Minnesota, land of 10,000+ lakes I thought piranha would be illegal. Too my surprise they are not. I suppose it's because it gets incredibly cold in the winter. Could piranha adapt to even the cold? Are panfish related to piranhas? When I go swimming in our lake, they really go after me in swarms-biting toes, moles etc. They are funny but sure can get bitey (panfish).

#10 ·
Riverbait said:
Living in Minnesota, land of 10,000+ lakes I thought piranha would be illegal. Too my surprise they are not. I suppose it's because it gets incredibly cold in the winter. Could piranha adapt to even the cold?
[snapback]868786[/snapback]​
Yes, it been known for Ps to withstand temps close to 40 degrees.. temporarily. Frank has this very interesting info.

Back to topic. I've sent them my opinion and suggestions regarding this matter. I dont know why after everyone else has received a response, I havent yet. Ive just done another just for gods sake. I really hope that the scale outweighs in Oregon's favor. One person has gone through so much with this incident before, I dont see why its neccesary to go through another ordeal, especially after all the info has been presented previously.

Gotta love the people who make rules just to show power...

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
For those of you that live in OREGON if you can go to Salem, State Capitol, Room "B" at 3 pm on Monday, January 31, 2005. Then go! Get their earlier and see if you can be added to the list to speak. From there you speak from your heart as a hobbyist and how this "new" change of the statute will effect you. Let them know, the fish are meant to be kept in the aquarium. Let them know as a responsible hobbyist you are against releasing them in the wild. Let them know how much you have learned about the fish and its about time to take this fish out of the monster category. You can end it by saying......Oregon rivers are too cold for this fish to live!

If anything, let the reporters know why you are there.......politicians hate reporters, ODFW hates them MORE. Especially, if they are made to look foolish.

If you are in a different STATE or COUNTRY, write to them via email (look in pinned topic for addy). Write and tell them about your fish and what they mean to you as a hobbyist. If the fish are in your country legally, let them know responsible hobbyists do not release them. If the fish are in your STATE legally, let them know they are NOT illegal because your rivers, lakes, etc., are too cold.

I can't really put words in anyone's mouth on what to say. I went before the House of Natural Resources in 1995 without a note and spoke from my heart and with the knowledge of years of experience and scientific research. You who keep piranas are AQUARISTS. You have the passion to do the exact same thing. Back then, I had NO SUPPORT. NO ONE BELEIVED piranas would be legalized in Oregon. I showed and proved that 1 person can make a difference. Today, I have ALL OF YOU to carry the torch.

BTW Judazz, piranhas do not thrive or live below 10degree C. (or 50F).

#13 ·
shoe997bed263 Posted Today, 05:04 AM
i have recieved a response and i was wondering if there was anything else that i can do. should i keep sending letters and just try to flood their office and do the same with email? is there any other way that i can help even though i am in indiana?
Get your friends, relatives, schools, pet stores, anyone that keeps piranas to send EMAIL in AGAINST prohibiting them again.

#24 ·
Just got word, my statement may not be read in the Senate hearing. The person who was to read it was told by his boss that it might not be a good idea. I can see where his employer is coming from since this fellow works in the Senate building. Even if he is doing it OFF THE CLOCK. So right now, I have no idea what is going to happen. He is trying to find someone else not affiliated with the Senate to do it.

I got a bad feeling about this, but it ain't over yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.