Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo

I discovered frozen b/heart cubes at my LFS today, i dont know how they fare compared to the over the counter stuff, but what the hey!!!!!! I'll give em a go with my P's.

MY p's are just starting to show tiny bits of red on their bellies - great to see them maturing!!!!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Do some math. How much do you pay for beef heart whole, over the counter?

How much do you pay for it at the LFS?

Break it down into a common form of measurement. The butcher will sell it to you by the pound. The LFS will usually sell it to you by the ounce. There are 16 oz to 1 lb.

If your pet shop is charging you $1 per 1 oz, that's $16 per 1 lb. Even if your butcher is a total rip off, he'll give you a much better deal than that.

Also, with the LFS, the beef heart you buy there is like 50% water added partly to thin it out and partly to help it fit into those little cube trays. So really it's more like $32 per pound compared to the butcher, who adds no extra water.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
lastyboy said:
Yo

I discovered frozen b/heart cubes at my LFS today, i dont know how they fare compared to the over the counter stuff, but what the hey!!!!!! I'll give em a go with my P's.

MY p's are just starting to show tiny bits of red on their bellies - great to see them maturing!!!!!!
congrad..youget to deduct the cutting part out of it(no knife)....
and congrads with your p's sound like a great bunch....

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WEYHEY!!!!I just chucked a cube of the b/heart in, at first they're scared of it, but once the smell got to them they ravaged this cube down to nothing in seconds - wow!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I dislike the cube stuff,it makes such a damn mess in my tanks.The super market stuff is much better IMO but congrats on the Redfs they sound liek they are doing great

·
Goldfish Chunks In Teeth
2,505 Posts
yonderway said:
Also, with the LFS, the beef heart you buy there is like 50% water added partly to thin it out and partly to help it fit into those little cube trays. So really it's more like $32 per pound compared to the butcher, who adds no extra water.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
yonderway said:
Break it down into a common form of measurement. The butcher will sell it to you by the pound. The LFS will usually sell it to you by the ounce. There are 16 oz to 1 lb.

If your pet shop is charging you $1 per 1 oz, that's $16 per 1 lb. Even if your butcher is a total rip off, he'll give you a much better deal than that.

Yonders right about this one.

Also getting more for your money by buying at butcher stores, you can actually use some of the beefheart to add in a blender, mix with some veggies, other meats and serve!!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah sure good point.
But its really hard to get it fresh, you have to order it and it takes ages to arrive.
I know long term you save loads of mula, but when you buy a pack at a time at £3, and that pack last about 5 weeks, its not exactly a fortune lost.
But hopefullly my butcher will have some fresh stuff soon

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually i was thinking of try something like peas on my P's - ha! what a play on words!!!!

Is it advisable?
(to give P's peas, not play on words!!!!!)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah it does take some planning ahead, but you do save a fortune (proportionately) and as it was mentioned, you can grind it up and make it a component of a dietary formula including other components that are good for the fish but that they might not otherwise eat ala cart.

Order the beef heart, and in the meantime while you're waiting for it to come in use giant prawn or something instead (which is expensive, but still much cheaper by weight than LFS beef heart)

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
cube beefheart
i get it for 6.00 for 24 cubes per pack.
i let them sit out on a paper plate for about a hour or two then
drop them in the tank my rhom eats them so fast i cant get a pic of him eating no mess eather i
them
to the inventor of that idea

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
i got a half pound of b-heart at the butchers and got him to cut in 1'' cubes and when i got home i put the cubes in a ice cube tray and froze it, works ok!

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
What is better for your fish are the packaged beefheart not the cubes, cutting them up urself and cubing them makes u the chef and I figure it is more healthy and it is less cheap to just buy a whole beefheart and cut it urself. All depends on if ur lazy and u want to spend more to support ur lazyiness

1 - 16 of 16 Posts