Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
indeed...when breeding they tend to move gravel to make a "nest"....they dance really hard with the other partner, fighting they usually nip, dance in circles and thats that...my bud dairy whip had a pair of breeders so i got to see 1st hand mating dances...trust me, you'd know...maybe post a vid if you can too

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
indeed...when breeding they tend to move gravel to make a "nest"....they dance really hard with the other partner, fighting they usually nip, dance in circles and thats that...my bud dairy whip had a pair of breeders so i got to see 1st hand mating dances...trust me, you'd know...maybe post a vid if you can too
ill try, they keep going in circles and sometimes rub faces together but no nips. sometimes while going in circles they open their mouth. I watched them for the longest time and no biting. just some rubbing and face to face contact with lots of circles.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
ill try, they keep going in circles and sometimes rub faces together but no nips. sometimes while going in circles they open their mouth. I watched them for the longest time and no biting. just some rubbing and face to face contact with lots of circles.
[/quote]

that sounds like classic fighting...on one of my recent threads i posted that my caribe do that, and ive never seen it before....so id say its just fighting...there should be some piranha breeding vids on this piranha breeding link....check them out and see if they're like yours...btw how big are your fish and how long have you had them

·
Registered
523 Posts
[/quote]

that sounds like classic fighting...on one of my recent threads i posted that my caribe do that, and ive never seen it before....so id say its just fighting...there should be some piranha breeding vids on this piranha breeding link....check them out and see if they're like yours...btw how big are your fish and how long have you had them
[/quote]

5-6" and they have always been living together but in a group of about 15 (at the store) and I have had them for about 2 weeks....one actually started to dig their face in the rocks and looks to be protective of the area. it does not move from there much. idk its prob fighting i was just wondering. I dont see eggs or anything.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry to hear abou tthe cloudy eye.....hows your 2 possible mating fish doing....see any eggs yet...whats the scoop man?
cloudy eye all got, added salt and it only took 12 hours. no eggs
put those two are always right next to each other perhaps its love <333333 ill post if anything changes and im in a panic cus i dont know what to do with babies or eggs...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
sorry to hear abou tthe cloudy eye.....hows your 2 possible mating fish doing....see any eggs yet...whats the scoop man?
cloudy eye all got, added salt and it only took 12 hours. no eggs
put those two are always right next to each other perhaps its love <333333 ill post if anything changes and im in a panic cus i dont know what to do with babies or eggs...
[/quote]
Do lots of reading in this forum.And ask any questions you may have.This will only increase your odds.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
exactly, ask 2 millions questions if you have to......if you see eggs, make sure you have another tank ready (bigger then 10g to help the survival rating) you'll have to siphon the eggs out, watch yourself tho, the male which fans the nest will be very aggressive and could possibly bite the siphon or even you
....just take pre-cautions with it....in the other tank take like a sock or something put it over the filter so no baby's or eggs could get sucked up....remeber tho, if you need ask tons of questions here

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
exactly, ask 2 millions questions if you have to......if you see eggs, make sure you have another tank ready (bigger then 10g to help the survival rating) you'll have to siphon the eggs out, watch yourself tho, the male which fans the nest will be very aggressive and could possibly bite the siphon or even you
....just take pre-cautions with it....in the other tank take like a sock or something put it over the filter so no baby's or eggs could get sucked up....remeber tho, if you need ask tons of questions here
thanks a lot guys ill keep you posted if i see any eggs or have any questions. i just went out and got a 20 gallon tank (it was a yard sale for 50 cents
)

so if i see eggs what i do is siphon it into the new tank and use water from the parent tank. how do i know if one is dead or not fertilized??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.