Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a LM or SM bass in their aquariums. If so how big is it, how big is your tank, how long have you had it.

·
^word
4,324 Posts
While I never have, I have known people that do, and they have found it to be quite easy. Make sure you have a large enough tank (125g+) and keep the heater off. They have similar dispostions to large cichlids, comparable to say an oscar.

Good Luck!

·
^word
4,324 Posts
They have similar dispostions to large cichlids, comparable to say an oscar.
Well from what I've hear comparable to a large very hungry oscar..
[/quote]

Heh every oscar I've ever met can be described as very hungry.

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
every LMB ive heard about kept in an aqaurium has been a garbage can, and will eat you out of house and home.:laugh:

G

·
A few members of this site have housed largemouth bass for a period of time.

The general consensus is that they can be very aggresive towards other fish and quickly outgrow their aquarium. I guess that's why you see so few dedicated bass keepers.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If i ever do have one it would probably be a solitary fish in the tank. What size would be needed...250+? Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Keep in mind that it's illegal to keep game fish.
Even if you order it? Don't people stock their ponds? If im not mistaken can't you eat the fish you catch? Just curious as to where you got that info.
[/quote]

In some states it's illegal to keep game fish but check your state's regulations. Also do a search because this was brought up a while back.. Not like DNR is going to be checking up on people who keep bass.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Are you sure about the game fish crap? Its only illegal to remove one that is undersize/weight from the wild as far as I know. This means you can't bring home a fry that is "Ideal" tank size.

You can order dumptruck loads of catfish, bluegill, carp, gar, bass, trout, etc for your pond, I don't see why it would be any different for a little Aquarium.

I have kept wild fish before. Usually bluegill. As of recent I have tried to get perch around here. Pretty easy to nab, and look better. Can keep quite a few together. If I am looking for bluegill I nab the larger ones I can find with a lot of color.

Here is a perch

Best of all, when you raise these bad boy perches up to a good size, you can pull them out and fry um up. Talk about killing a flock of birds with a stone.

·
DOC#003162
14,969 Posts
it is illegal to keep native fish is some states i dont know

which ones or why, but do check your regulations, not like

it would stop you really but be aware it is illegal in some states.

i want to keep some sunfish myself not blue gill but maybe

something else i catch, i ve caught some beautiful looking

sunfish that look way better then bluegills

also i read some were it is not a good ideal to eat a fish out of

an aquarium due to the chemicals ou use to keep the tank

water parametiers in check will make the fish unhealthy

for human consumption, i read that here some were a long

time ago, try to search around for it in the piranha section

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
also i read some were it is not a good ideal to eat a fish out of

an aquarium due to the chemicals ou use to keep the tank

water parametiers in check will make the fish unhealthy

for human consumption, i read that here some were a long

time ago, try to search around for it in the piranha section
Yeah don't eat any fish that have ever been medicated..

Don't know what tank size you need for a bass...

·
Frontosa King
9,990 Posts
i kept a small large mouth bass in a 15 gallon for a while. it choked on rosey red minnows pigging out and died

get some sunfish to keep (pumpkin seeds) they are gorgeous

G

·
Keep in mind that it's illegal to keep game fish.
No, that's not true.

The same laws can be applied to catching and keeping native fish in an aquarium as apply to keping native fish in a livewell or harvesting them. So technically, a fishing license may be required, minimum-size requirements and seasonal closings will apply when the fish are captured.

·
Registered
605 Posts
rofls

This is an sunfish.
http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writing/mola_mola.jpg

A good bluegill will have bright blue gills and the dark ear flap, along with a bright orange/yellow belly. Oh wait, dosnt that sound like a pumpskin seed? What about a sun fish? They hardly differ, one has color, the other does not. You can catch blue gill with blue gills and a yellow belly when large. The small ones sometimes hardly have the blue but will have the flap.

They are fun to keep too.

YOU CAN KEEP A FISH AT A CERTAIN SIZE. They do NOT state what you do with the fish. And they don't always assume you eat it, since a lot of people get them mounted. Its illegal to eat an undersize fish, its not illegal to mount, eat, stuff, screw (Some states LOL), blow up, trow in the road, leave on the bank, send to space, etc A game fish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts