Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a dumb question but my cousin had a smallmouth bass he caught in a 55 gallon tank. If you were to catch a fish in the wild out of a lake/river and take it home to put in a large tank for it, what are the chances of it surving or better yet what would be a few ways to make the transition easier on the fish so it wouldnt die? I'm thinking about catching a bass and bringing it home to a 75 gallon tank or something.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Well, two things here...

one, be careful, there are some weird laws about game fish.

two, as a researcher I've had to bring back a lot of fish alive, and it depends on the fish. However you really shouldn't try it without a battery powered aerator. On top of that it's good to keep the fish in as dark an area as possible.

Other than that many of the fish you mention are relatively tough. A 55 is not big enough for an adult smallmouth bass though, but juvies should be fine.

Be also aware that deciding to dump these back where you found them is tricky. Sometimes they can pick up diseases in the aquarium and bring them back into the wild. Plan to keep the fishes until they're dead (one way or another). Sounds cruel, but the risk is real and not worth it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I am a big fisherman and have noticed that bass are generally pretty tough fish. Maybe this summer I will try some bluegill or something.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
a 240 would be a great, Great lakes Fish aqaurium, Walleye,bass, perch, muskie, bluegill, white bass, and a lot of natural vegitation, Try to get some from your local river or lake. and try to grab the roots and put it in a bucket of water wnd plant it in ur tank. It may help to add a little water from the river or lake at first to help the transition for plants and fish

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
a 240 would be a great, Great lakes Fish aqaurium, Walleye,bass, perch, muskie, bluegill, white bass, and a lot of natural vegitation, Try to get some from your local river or lake. and try to grab the roots and put it in a bucket of water wnd plant it in ur tank. It may help to add a little water from the river or lake at first to help the transition for plants and fish
That might help with cycling too, but be wary of dead plants or too much organic material....

·
Dodge City
10,070 Posts
The bass will only take live foods in your tank, I'm not sure about musky but it wouldn't surprise me if they are the same.
Bluegill make a really interesting tank. They are terrific aquarium fish, aggressive and territorial , they eat just about anything.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well Ive been catching them my whole life and am just now getting into the "tank" hobby and was thinking this summer I could set up a "wildlife" tank. Wonder if the conservation officer would care?

well Ive been catching them my whole life and am just now getting into the "tank" hobby and was thinking this summer I could set up a "wildlife" tank. Wonder if the conservation officer would care?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts