Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im kind of new to the pirahna scene, i have three 2 inch rbp's, but what are the most to least aggressive pirahnas. and how do redbelly's stack up?

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Hi chopper....welcome to the board. Aggressiveness is really a objective measure but generally Red Bellies are considered the least aggressive of the pygocentrus genus. People might think differenly but from what I have been told, "aggessiveness" in pygos from least to most goes Red Belly, Caribe, Piraya. I could be wrong as I have never seen a piraya in action....

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Aggressiveness is really a objective measure but generally Red Bellies are considered the least aggressive of the pygocentrus genus. People might think differenly but from what I have been told, "aggessiveness" in pygos from least to most goes Red Belly, Caribe, Piraya. I could be wrong as I have never seen a piraya in action....
Of course this is all viewed from the aquario in what people think based on personal views of their individual specimens.

Realistically and speaking from species in nature, they are all aggressive and no accurate measurement can be assimilated from the 3 species. But generally speaking the Orinoco red-bellies are considered very bad in some locations because of their conditioned feedings.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Yes there is no true way to measure aggressiveness. But hobbyists generally use my heirarchy above in terms of the home aquarium.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Xenon Posted on Mar 20 2003, 08:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE (hastatus @ Mar 20 2003, 01:07 PM)
But hobbyists generally use my heirarchy above in terms of the home aquarium.

True for this board.

What are your own personal rankings?
Personal

Seriously though, I don't view them that way. To me, any pirana flopping around outside the aquario is dangerous not necessarily aggressive. As for aggressiveness of species; I can make them aggressive by not feeding them, but it won't necessarily mean they will attack anything live or dead. Now before it is asked, yes I have had each of those species in my aquario long before it was fashionable to have them. So I speak only from my own observations. To me, a Pygocentrus is just a fish to look at and admire their beauty. I was not into their legendary myth except as a kid and just learning about them. So maybe that is an answer to your question.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
well i have kept reds for @ 3 years now and mainly had fin nips .since selling my 2 largest reds leaving 2 5'' i have added a piraya which has already had a fight with one on my reds inflicting minor damage.
i think with reds they tend to warn a lot more with head bashing and warning signs the piraya does not warn much it just bites so i guess it is more aggresive than my reds .
this could possibly be down to the fact that up until a few weeks ago the piraya was swimming with its buds in brazil and the reds have lived all their life in an aquarium wild reds may possibly act the same as a piraya .tank bred reds alougth will still have their instincts will possibly act different to wild caught fish.and as most reds are tank bred this may be where people think reds are not as agressive .
personaly i like my reds and will always have them even when adding wild caught p's .the reds i have have loads of personality and are not that skittish now and take down feeders with ease
dixon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.