Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Power outage for about 18 hours. Nothing I could do but change a bit of water last night and this morning to try and keep the water halfway warm. What was left in hotwater heater. I put some hot water in ziplockbags to try float them and gently warm it up. From mom's down the road. This morning the temp in my Manny's tank was 65F. He was just sitting there. Still alive thank goodness. And My Mac was suprisingly doing his normal thing with the temp in his tank the same. Power just came back on. Was curious of how the beneficial bacteria would cope. Will my tanks recycle? Anything I need to do to help the P's after probably being quite stressed out?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
A mini cycle may happen.
You need to check the NH4 levels and do some water changes.
If the NH4 is raised, cut down the feedings to compensate that.
Do not disturb your canister filter.

Harry

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well after about 7 hours the temperature is at 79F. Finally. Fish look and act as usual again. My manny was way in the corner barely moving till the temp reached about 75. Can't believe he's swimming around like he usually does. I was extremely worried. But will check all parameters and continue to check to be sure. Got 2 AC110's for the Manny and one of the same for the Mac. Still won't disturb the media or try anything. I think I got pretty lucky. They seem a bit more hardy than I expected. Water changes coming soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
277 Posts
I doubt the temp drop will have too much of an effect. Low temps ( refridgeration ) don't kill bene/bac they just make it go dormant untill the they warm back up. Plus temps in the 60's aren't low enough to make em go dormant......just think about it......goldfish tanks and ponds get that low all the time but still maintain a population of bene/bac.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I doubt the temp drop will have too much of an effect. Low temps ( refridgeration ) don't kill bene/bac they just make it go dormant untill the they warm back up. Plus temps in the 60's aren't low enough to make em go dormant......just think about it......goldfish tanks and ponds get that low all the time but still maintain a population of bene/bac.
True, this is not a temperature issue.
But with power outage the filter is not runnig and water is not circulating through bio media, the nitrifying bacteria will not get oxygen (and they need it constantly).
So 18 hours with static water in filter will cause at least a mini cycle. On the other hand there are nitrifying bacteria in the tank substrate too and these I think will be fine.

Harry

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Wow. Surprised that your Manny's still alive at those temps.
Heard Manny's die real easy if no cared for.
Kuddos!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts