Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished cycling and i'm doing a large water change using my Python. The temp before was about 80 and i thought i was keeping it close when refilling but it ended up being about 86 degrees now. Did i kill any of my bacteria?

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
I just finished cycling and i'm doing a large water change using my Python. The temp before was about 80 and i thought i was keeping it close when refilling but it ended up being about 86 degrees now. Did i kill any of my bacteria?
how long has it be cycling for? and how large % did you do water change?

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
It was about a 10-11 day cycle. I did about 75-80% water change
honestly i dont think that is good enough for cycling time.....a good month or 4-6week would do it

plus that is way to much of waterchange, max should be about 50%

·
Registered
775 Posts
you wont know for sure if you cycled unless you tested your water params. Just because you used bio-spira doesnt neccesarily mean your tank is cycled. Get a test kit and test for ammonia, nitrate and nitrites.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
you should be fine. however did you test the water before the WC?

And that a fine amount for a waterchange once you are sure that your bacteira is totally established and that your water is not heavy in chlorine or chlorimine. If it is you may want to pretreat the water before adding to the tank.
Thats the ony thing that comes into question. Aside from adding Biospira what is in the tank? Fish? you do need an ammonia source to feed the Bio.

One thing I'd like to mention is the temp you put back into the water. Altho it is fine for the bacteira that much of a quick temp change could stress your fish. I would suggest getting a digi thermometer so you can check the water temp as it comes out of the tap and you can be sure it is the same temp as what came out.

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Like 2P stated, never do more than a 50% water change.

You can get away with 50% water changes every 8 hours in emergency situations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts