Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ich besitzen meine eigene Welt.
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, hello all.
New to the forum. I must say there is a mass of great info in this. Congrats to you all!

Next, I used to have P's about 10 years ago in college. I'm trying to get back into it though. Just got my new set-up last week. I have a 40 g tank with a aquaclear 50 powerhead, Penguin 200 Bio-wheel, with 5 1" baby red's in it. (Had 11, the evil powerhead killed 5 and one tiny guy fell victim to his brothers)

Haven't got a test to see about my levels yet but I can already tell that I don't have enough Bac. in it and my ammonia is to high. Have a milky cloudiness to it and a awful smell in the filter that sinks up my whole apartment.

I've done a 30% and a 50% water change this week. Didn't help either problem.

Also I don't wana lose anymore of my little buddies to the evil powerhead from hell!

And with thier feeding, I've tried frozen shrimp and smelt but they dont seem to eat much of it at all. The brine shrimp makes a awful god mess.

Any ideas? Lay the knowledge on me!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
at 1" feed them cichlid flakes, brine shrimp, soft floating pellets, krill
stuff to that nature......you may want to add some dither fish (small ones)
to shift the fin nips and agression

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Well first off.........Welcome to P-Fury..........you'll find loads of info and help here.

I would suggest maybe keeping you powerhead off for now. At 1" they are way to small to even think about swimming in a current yet, at least for long periods of time. If you do decide to keep it on, make sure that they have plenty of "Dead Spaces" to hide from the current in. In a 40g tank, I wouldnt even recommend a PH for that tank, its just too small and the current would be tremdous throughout the tank. I would also guess that in about 6-12 months you are definitely going to need to upgrade your tank. The going recommendation is 3 reds for life in a 75g tank, which in that case you are a little overstocked, but they will be ok for now.

Feeding is a different story. At the size mine loved Tropical Flakes, Frozen Bloodworms, Brine shrimp. Their favorite were the flakes. They ate flakes all the way up to about 3". You can try some Tilapia fillets, just make sure that you cut them really small. Keep you temp at about 78 degrees to prevent aggression, and remember to always have fun, and feed them a variety. You really need to go get a parameter test kit soon. That cloudyness doesnt sound good.

Sacrifice

·
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To add to my info, i do have 6 small guppies in there for "fin nipping".

And for the powerhead they seemed to be alot more active and eat better when the powerhead is on, (at good power too) then with nothing. They seem to like the exercise. Also to note the powerhead is at the top of the tank to help with water movment.

Is my filter good enough for my application? I did notice that it did not have any carbon in it. Any more thoughts on the milky water? I'm taking a wild shot here but i believe my bacteria isnt at good level yet. Just wait it out?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
you need a water test kit but i would do water changes 30 - 50% maybe twice a week at least maybe more. this may get the cloudly water to decrease. also did you cycle the tank? there are products that you can buy to increase your bacteria level in your tank. as for feeding mix there diet up and maybe turn on the power head just b4 they are about to eat ... and turn it off when they are all done this why they can swim with the current and feed since they're feeding better with it on

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
First, hello all.
New to the forum. I must say there is a mass of great info in this. Congrats to you all!

Next, I used to have P's about 10 years ago in college. I'm trying to get back into it though. Just got my new set-up last week. I have a 40 g tank with a aquaclear 50 powerhead, Penguin 200 Bio-wheel, with 5 1" baby red's in it. (Had 11, the evil powerhead killed 5 and one tiny guy fell victim to his brothers)

Haven't got a test to see about my levels yet but I can already tell that I don't have enough Bac. in it and my ammonia is to high. Have a milky cloudiness to it and a awful smell in the filter that sinks up my whole apartment.

I've done a 30% and a 50% water change this week. Didn't help either problem.

Also I don't wana lose anymore of my little buddies to the evil powerhead from hell!

And with thier feeding, I've tried frozen shrimp and smelt but they dont seem to eat much of it at all. The brine shrimp makes a awful god mess.

Any ideas? Lay the knowledge on me!
It takes around 21 days to cycle a new tank without chemical agents. Ammonia spikes in a cycling tank are normal. The cloudiness is part of a bacterial bloom that occasionally occurs in new setups. It will clear in time.

·
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bloom seems to be settling. Slowly but surely. Did a test. All are actually quite good. I just think I'm being impatient but you can never be to careful!

With the Powerhead issue, I decided to put it up as high as I can to keep good water circulation and put it on the lowest setting to keep the "suction from he**" down.

And also decided to just keep the little guys on flakes and brine shrimp for now till they fill in their pants a little more.

Thanks all for your help!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts