Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my Ps spawned and I moved their surviving babies to a 29 gal tank with a cycled Eheim 2217. There are approx. 30 babies and they are around dime size. My question is, is it normal for them to scrape themselves against a flat hard plastic object?

I have the Eheim Pre-filter, which is this ugly square thing that hold a coarse floss that mechanically filters out big stuff before it goes in the filter. This Pre-filter has a square plastic base which is suspended 2" from the bottom because the tube is not long enough to reach the bottom.

I was feeding them this morning and watching them eat while trying to count them and I noticed that they started to scrape themselves against the edge of the square base of the prefilter. They would look at the base and then quickly swim at the edge and scape it with their sides.

It is just not one, when one did it, 1/2 of them started to do the same thing. I look at them carefully and there doesn't seem to be any visible spots or parasites on them. No sores or anything. After a few seconds, they would stop and be on their merry way.

Is this normal or is this a sign of a parasite or diease? I have never seen this before. This is the first time in 10 years I have seen this happening. Water parameters are fine. They are eating Hikari carnivorous fish Food Stick. I am afraid that something I put in the fry tank previously might have left a parasite, but the goldfishes that has been in there previously, 3 days ago for a week, didn't have any parasites or infections.

I hope this is just something that they do and I just never saw before because I just recently got the pre-filter.

Thanks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe there is any current on the under-side edge of the prefilter. I don't want to add any medications because they are so small. I am just afraid that they are going to rip one of their eyes out. They don't seem to be scraping they sides 100%, a few missed and hit their heads or they eyes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.