Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
RHoM L0V3R
1,236 Posts
I am not sure about the decensitizing them to fingers part... but as for growth and coloration use shirmp and krill for nice color and beefheart for growth. Try to mix up the diet a bit and give them a ew different things to see what they like. Catfish, scallops, shirmp,beefheart...these are all great staple diets and will ensure big healthy piranha. I would try to get them on somekind of small pellets while young. This way they are more likely to accept them when older. This will greatly help with their nutrition.

This is just my opinion but I would try to keep some small dither fish in the tank with the reds. Maybe 10 or 15 feeder guppies in the tank at all times. These can usually be bought for 5 cents each so. I say this because reds tend to be very cannabalistic while small and a eaten guppy is much better then an eaten red belly.
I have used this method myself with pygos and have yet to lose a piranha *knock on wood*.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.