Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Peace....Through Superior Firepower
13,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will they grow back with the proper meds?There are 4 of them and they are about 2 inches in size, only two of them have their fins nipped the back and some of their top fins I think its the two dominant ones doing it , they are in a forty gallon right now until they get bigger ..........I got them from aquascape about 2 months ago and i noticed they dont grow as fast as my reds did when they were that size pedro at Aquascape is great ..........they are very wonderful fish ...

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
They will be fine. Just give them some time to heal. If its one thing I know, its that Gold Spilos heal fast.

~Dj

·
13,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
should i treat the water with meds or let them heal on their own ? thanks guys

·
13,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
InSinUasian :
sorry to hear of the loss of your splio the other day

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Nah, no meds - not necessary with fin nips.

They'll heal naturally (and fast). You could add a bit of salt to the water to speed up the healing process: 1 table spoon per 5-10 gallons of water....

But it will happen over and over again: spilo's are notorious fin biters, and therefore need A LOT of tank space, compared to reds.
In what size tank do you keep them?

·
Registered
873 Posts
it says 40 gallon up top :rock:

that might be a little small for 4 spilos, but all I know on them is what I have heard/read.

~Will.

·
13,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes forty gallon right now until they get a little bigger . Is that too small right now ?

·
13,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i will add the salt tonight when i get home .....thanks Judazzzz

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
What size are you going to transfer them to later? For 4 spilos, I would suggest 80-100 at least, a 125 would be better. That might even still be a little cramped for them. But then again, thats when they start getting into the 5-6 inch range. You still have some time. I would be happy if 4-5 of my spilos max out in my 180 just to give you some idea.

Usually tail nips are a sign, at least with spilos, that tank space may be getting a little low. I had 10- 1 inchers in a 65 gallon, but had to move them in less then a week cause there was too much aggression.

~Dj

·
13,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i am going to move them to an 90 gallon tall probably or 80 gallon long .....thanks for the advice

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Will regrow as long as it's not nipped down to the meaty part of the tail. Is it?

Moved to disease and injury

·
13,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i dont think that they are down to the meaty part the two of them just have no tail fins right now

·
13,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JUST GOT THE BRAND NEW 80 GALLON FOR THEM LAST NIGHT .....FROM THE LFS....SWEET DEAL ..........HOPEFULLY THIS WILL GIVE THEM MORE ROOM AND GET THERE FINS BACK IN ORDER

1 - 17 of 17 Posts