Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello All,

I was finally able to register for the sight and this is my first post. I purchased a baby spilo 1.5" on Saturday (12-16-06) now it roughly 2 inches and all it likes it beafheart cubes. I tried blackworms, flakes, shrimp and tilapia with no success. Its a very slow eater. Maybe takes an hours for it to finish its food if it even finishes. I read alot of posts that specify that a baby piranha should be fed 3 times a day, and will have a round belly after. Mine takes maybe 5 bites out of the pre defrosted beafheart cube and leaves it. I know im suppose to take it out if it does touch it so not to spoil water quality but I want to make sure its eating enough. my fish is in a solo fish in a 20 gallon tank with water quality near to perfect and so it PH.

So my questons are do Spilo babys eat alot, 3 times a day, or are they more of a take a few bits and they are done eater. And are Spilos nitorious picky eaters. Do you guys recommend I try anything different.

Also attached is a picture of my baby Spilo. It was purchased at Shark Aquarium.

Water Fluid Organism Fin Underwater
Water Fin Fluid Underwater Fish

Attachments

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
Hello All,

I was finally able to register for the sight and this is my first post. I purchased a baby spilo 1.5" on Saturday (12-16-06) now it roughly 2 inches and all it likes it beafheart cubes. I tried blackworms, flakes, shrimp and tilapia with no success. Its a very slow eater. Maybe takes an hours for it to finish its food if it even finishes. I read alot of posts that specify that a baby piranha should be fed 3 times a day, and will have a round belly after. Mine takes maybe 5 bites out of the pre defrosted beafheart cube and leaves it. I know im suppose to take it out if it does touch it so not to spoil water quality but I want to make sure its eating enough. my fish is in a solo fish in a 20 gallon tank with water quality near to perfect and so it PH.

So my questons are do Spilo babys eat alot, 3 times a day, or are they more of a take a few bits and they are done eater. And are Spilos nitorious picky eaters. Do you guys recommend I try anything different.

Also attached is a picture of my baby Spilo. It was purchased at Shark Aquarium.

View attachment 130645
View attachment 130646
keep trying...it take time for him to get use to new home and envoriment....recommend feed him different food every week..it's good to start with their are small size. feed him 3 time day, if he dont eat keep feeding, he will eat when he is hungry but feed him different food.

piranha can go without food for days, weeks, some time months..

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hello All,

View attachment 130645
View attachment 130646
Dont give him that long to eat. It's not good for your water params. What I had to do with my fish was throw the food in the tank. If they didnt eat it after two minutes I took it out and tried again the next day. Eventually they seemed to catch on and started eating as soon as I drop the food in. It doesnt even make it to the bottom. Also, try to vary its diet some. Feed it beefheart, tilapia, cod, catfish filets, etc and raw shrimp works well for me. (but i have reds)

Good luck!

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
As said, you don't want to leave food in the tank for longer than 15 minutes. I'm surprised that your water parameters are 'near perfect' when you are leaving food in the tank for that long of time. What kind of test kit are you using?

Just keep trying is all I can say. Keep the water parameters in check and take the food out if he doesn't eat it. Eventually he will get used to the routine and his environment and should gobble it up as soon as it hits the water. He surely won't starve.....unless he goes months without eating anything.

Good luck raising your new spilo, and welcome to P-Fury! If you ever need anything, don't be afraid to contact me.

~Taylor~

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, All

Thank you for your suggestions. I have tried and it is eating now. The problem is that it will not eat with the lights on. If I put the food in with the lights on the Spilo will stay in its usual hiding spot but it will not attack the food. As soon as i turn the lights off it slowly comes out from it spot and goes after the food. Takes some agressive bites and then leaves it and swims around the tank. As soon as I turn the lights back on the Spilo goes back into hiding. All day it will not come out of its spot. Only moves around when lights are off. I have mininum lights on. Could there be a problem? thanks in advance for the replys.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Hi, All

Thank you for your suggestions. I have tried and it is eating now. The problem is that it will not eat with the lights on. If I put the food in with the lights on the Spilo will stay in its usual hiding spot but it will not attack the food. As soon as i turn the lights off it slowly comes out from it spot and goes after the food. Takes some agressive bites and then leaves it and swims around the tank. As soon as I turn the lights back on the Spilo goes back into hiding. All day it will not come out of its spot. Only moves around when lights are off. I have mininum lights on. Could there be a problem? thanks in advance for the replys.
No, there is no problem. That is expected. Piranhas do not like bright lights, because they come from murky waters in the wild. When that bright light is on, it makes them feel vulnerable because they can't see as well, so they act timid and try to hide all the time. Even piranhas that have been accustomed to their tank for years sometimes act this way.
~Taylor~

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi, All

Leave the lights on more often, i.e. get a timer
Sooner or later he will get used to the lights

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the suggestions. I have dimmed the lights and it seemed to have helped. Its weird since it was the most aggressive baby spilo in the display tank at the store. It was constantly chasing all other spilos around the tank. can it turn so timid and shy from food and light?

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions. I have dimmed the lights and it seemed to have helped. Its weird since it was the most aggressive baby spilo in the display tank at the store. It was constantly chasing all other spilos around the tank. can it turn so timid and shy from food and light?
It turned timid and shy from the move to a new tank. That is a big shock for a fish. Imagine being picked up and located to totally different surroundings. It will take him a while to get used to it, but when he does, he should be active and aggressive like he originally was. Just have patience.

~Taylor~

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Taylor for all the useful information. If I move this fish to a bigger tank in the future will this not eating and shyness occure all over again? Also do you think it will be ok for life in a 30 gallon tank, I heard that spilos go pretty slow growers and do not require as much space as other species? however i have a hard time believing that since my fish seems to be growing before my very eyes after every feeding.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Thanks Taylor for all the useful information. If I move this fish to a bigger tank in the future will this not eating and shyness occure all over again? Also do you think it will be ok for life in a 30 gallon tank, I heard that spilos go pretty slow growers and do not require as much space as other species? however i have a hard time believing that since my fish seems to be growing before my very eyes after every feeding.
It really depends on the individual fish, but yes, he probably would have a period of shyness when moved to a new environment in your house.

A 29 gallon aquarium will work for him for quite a few years nonetheless.

~Taylor~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts