Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
I prefer babies as well, it always seems to me when you buy just large fish you are a cheating a bit and missing out on the total experience. Then again some people just LOVE large fish.

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
Depends on the type for me, Pygos I like small because they do grow pretty fast, I would not like a small Rhom because they grow so slow.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Well if I had a perfect world I would raise a shoal of nearly 40 babies, 10 of each species, and then as they grow sell off the least favortie ones to end up with 4 of each for a total of 16 in a 10,000g tank, that would be :rockin:

I really enjoy raising the fish and watching them grow, if pygos grew like Serrasalmus though, I would buy adults, I love the bulk of adult pygos.

My point is to buy as many babies as possible that way you end up with the best ones, its like making up for not going to the store to see them first when you do a mail order for piranhas or something I guess, I call it Natural selection, only the strongest stay in my tank :D

·
Piranha Expert
4,309 Posts
i agree with gg. why buy a large 11" cariba for $200 when u can get a small 2" cariba for $50 and have it grow. pygos grow really fast so why would u buy the more expensive one? but most people have the money to spend and rater have the big fishy...

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I like bigger fish in my collection, but I am cheap, and can't afford to buy big.
I also like having fish that I have had for years, and since they were tiny.
I like to think of the small places in my tank they used to go, and now they have no chance.
But I always feel good coming home from the fish shop with a large specimine and thinking how good is this fish.

G

·
i like to buy them as babies so i can watch them grow, also because it gives me a feeling of self satisfaction....

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
For me... I'd get a whole shoal of Serra's and watch 'em grow, considering they do grow fast. Now pygo's.. I have and need to get them as adults already. They pygo would probably go through 3 generations before reaching full adult status... and by then I'd be dead. :D :laugh:

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
RhomZilla said:
For me... I'd get a whole shoal of Serra's and watch 'em grow, considering they do grow fast. Now pygo's.. I have and need to get them as adults already. They pygo would probably go through 3 generations before reaching full adult status... and by then I'd be dead. :D :laugh:
??? I think you got that backwards ???

·
Sex Kitten Lover
358 Posts
Ironic sorta this thread is on here, I just got back from a LFS and they have a 7-8 inch gold spilo, he is freaking sweet, 60 US dollars. The thought creeped into my mind, I could trade my little guy in and get him for probaly 40-45 dollars. But the more I thought about it, I realized I couldn't do it, I love my lil guy, and can wait till he gets to that size.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
well when i got my P he was sorta middle age, he wasent a adult and he wasent a newborn baby =)
was at the stage where they are very light in colors and got lots of spots.(RBP)
I also belive if u have a small aquarium its easier for it to live in it if it grows up in it, alltohugh u would still need a new tank when it gets older.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If I'm buying pygos I have to go with babies. When the do grow they get used to you, they now when they are about to be fed. If I go serra they have to be already large. They grow to slow for me.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I enjoy having a few red bellies and having them since they're itty bitty babies :D It is cool to see the way they already know how to kick tail, but they're attitude is bigger than their mouths. I had a 3 inch gourami and I put 3 baby rb's in there, and it was neat to see the way that they would ram into his flank with their mouths wide open hoping that they could get a mouthfull, but they found out that they couldn't and they resorted to fin nipping, which was also awesome to see. Then again I bought a 4 inch black rhom a week and a half ago. He was super shy at first but he is now opening up and wanting to come out and show his face to me more often. I think that it is essential to have EVERYTHING! Haha. Baby red bellies, a shoal of big caribe, a mean foot long rhom. Soon enough though, soon enough. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts