Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,881 Posts
Very interesting. I'd never heard of it before. That sounds like it could be really effective with the coloration of piranhas and other fish!

I skimmed the article because I'm a little short on time now, but what would you have to do to purchase some of this? Is it available commercially yet?
~Taylor~

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently it is in the US. Here it needs to be imported from singapore. Many readymade pellet foods claim that they contain it, but obviously the concentration would be lower. I'm sure someone must've tried it in some diy recipe.

·
Registered
715 Posts
what you really need to look into is naturose. its a powder that contains lots of astaxanthin. i used to mix it with a little water and feed it to my reds when i had them. the colors were greatly increased. i had a captive red that had almost no coloration and i started feeding him this and the color change within 2 weeks was crazy.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,881 Posts
what you really need to look into is naturose. its a powder that contains lots of astaxanthin. i used to mix it with a little water and feed it to my reds when i had them. the colors were greatly increased. i had a captive red that had almost no coloration and i started feeding him this and the color change within 2 weeks was crazy.
Very nice!

Where would you find this 'naturose'? Also, you mixed it with water and fed it to your reds? How would you do that?

·
I HAVE THE SOUVLAKI POWER!!!!!
3,689 Posts
Here in Europe we use a lot astaxanthin as they are some brands as 'Tropical' that make special astaxanthin food.
Personally i use Tropical's Astaxanthin flakes inside my custom made food that i prepare for my P's.

·
Registered
715 Posts
when i mix the naturose with water i use a meat maranade needle and inject it into shrimp or earth worms. you can buy it at brineshrimpdirect.com they have it in 3 differnt size

·
Registered
715 Posts
sorry for the late post on this i forgot about it. here is a pic of one of the needles and you can put it into the homemade foods also. i used to have some pics of the progress with a captive red but i cannot find them any more you could tell a good differance after 3 days of feeding this product.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts