Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it work? The RBPS are 3 inches and my asian red tailed cat is 5 inches. The thing is really aggressive and I think he might hold his own. They're in a 55 gallon.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
either the red tail cat will suck them him for dinner.(i seen those sucker take down silver dollars).or evenually the p's will team up on him.wouldn't recommanded it.unless you willing to lose one of them.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
should be fin as long as they are hosted in a large enough aruarium to give tehm each there own space and as long as tehy are fed adequatly ... other than that they should be ok ... Ive seen many P tnaks work suuccesfully with many bottome dwellers ... good luck

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Red tailed cats get massive, and can easily eat a piranha, however piranhas also get pretty big and they could eat a red tailed cat.
you might find tankmates for the piranhas, but I don't think you will for the catfish!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well its been 3 day so far. My one piranha has a bite mark on its side from the cat, and the cat has much shorter whiskers and a chomp out of its tail. Its the catfish's fault though, whenever he comes out of his hiding spot he begins chasing my piranhas. They get pissed, turn around, and bite him. I don't mind losing the cat, but I dont want to lose any piranhas. Also, how big do they have to be until they will eat mice?

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
eat mice? the cat or the piranhas?
the piranhas will go for it when they are hungry, and the cat will go for it when it can fit it in its mouth.
I really suggest you move the catfish, it is a good quality fish and soon it will have been eaten.
put a crap catfish in instead like a commen pleco.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Azn red tailed cats are said to be one of the most aggressive fish in the hobby. According to planet catfish they'll get 38" long, as opposed to the south american red tailed cat, which grows to 4 feet...

If you look closedly, the asian red tailed cat's jaw is made to take chunks out of fish. If I remember correctly, it has an overbite. So unlike MOST catfish you'll encounter, this one can actually do damage, even if it can't fit the fish in its mouth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts