Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen of or heard of any piranhas that have been artifucially aided?
I am reffering to dyes that are injected into the skins, sucj as certain types of tetras called fruit tetras usually or even coloured glass fish?

also there are certain types of flowerhorns that get ther entire tail fin snipped off when juveniles and grow to adult size without a tailfin.. has this been done to P species before?

..and then of course are there any local bred piranhas that are being breeded to enhance certain features that you have some across?

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen of or heard of any piranhas that have been artifucially aided?
This idea of adding dyes (such as the Glass fish Chanda sp.) is a reprehensible act and should be condemned by hobbyists.

To my knowledge no such thing has yet happened to piranas. People who breed piranas (professionally) do try to get the best possible colors from breeding stock and some use care to make sure the best attributes from the stock is used to keep the brood pure in color or appearance.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
That would be nice, but Im for condemning it by any hobbyists also. Injecting colors wont last long and imagine the different chemicals your endangering your fish with. Tetras are one thing, Ps are another. Tetras are in high numbers to do experimentings on, where piranahs are exotic, expensive, and a rare find to some. Also, how simple is it to catch a P after colors have gone away and tried to reinject it without harming yourself and the P???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts