Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts

picture from yorksire

in America, i know it has been taken off the Cities list. Therefor it constitutes the fish as not a protected speices anymore. There is a catch though. Even though it been off the Cities list, Asian arowannas are still endangered and protected in the wild. Farm bred aros are being massivly produce giving use a endless supply and thats why America has taking Asian arowanna off the list. To own one you have to purchase one from a authroized deal which means that have to have a permit to sell. I believe the prices are gonna be high once the news has spread but it will die down like all trends.
(Credit goes to Ron)

Aro as you knw grow huge. Nothing under a 125 gallon tank is needed for them. They love to jump so keep lids closed at all time because in the wild they jump up to 3 feet high to catch their food (insects). They feed on anything that fits in their mouth. Most aro are stubborn and eats live food only but if your persistant on training then they will adjust to you. Some aro can live with other aro and other fish while some can not.

Silver arowana are the most common and cheapest and longest arowanas you can find beside the armipa (sp). Due to massive inbreeding on this feed they develop a "drop eye" It looks like they have lazy eye. You can also see that they face structure is also changed if you compare with a wild silver aro and a captive inbred silver aro. They like to swimming at the surface of your tank. They are peacful but dont leave them with any fish that could fit in their mouth

Jarini has two sperate speices. there is a lechardi and something these i forget. Lechardi are harder to find. They have a reddish hue to their body and look more sharp at the face. The ther type of Jardini is the one you find at your lfs. Both types are highly agressive towards other fish. You will have to experiment on having tank mates. Mine killed a cory cat before and snakeheads and cichlids. They generall swim in the mid level of your tank. Jardinis are also more stubby and shorter looking and does not grow as large as silvers.

Black aros are found in the same area of silver aros. They also grow as big as the silver. They are slow grower most would say but i think it depends on what you are feeding it. Black aros are getting more rare because they are only found in drainage systems. No information to my knowledge that they have been captive bred. They have the same requirments and needs as silver aros do. Black aros are the least agressive aro in the aro world. They are also the most senstive to water condition. At a young age they are bumble bee colored and when they mature they turn silver with blue finage

Asian aro are the most desired aro because of their amazing coloring and superstitous ideas. Anyhow there are many types, rtg,ytg,green,blue,gold,chilli,xback,black. Asian aros also have a grading system. Depending how nicely colored your fish is the better the grade is. Its just like how people grade flowerhorns. All captive bred asian aros are chipped so that they can be scanned to see that they are indeed captive bred and not wild caught. When purchasing a asian aro make shure look for inbreeding signs. This may include a hump on their back because pure bred ones are suppose to be straight backed. Scale deformity, Drop eye are also some signs of inbred asian aros. Asian aros are known the be quite peacful too. Their body shape resembles more to a Jardini than a silver or black.

I am tired of typing so if you have anymore questions Pm me. When i get back my energy i'll will add more info. I have so much info on them i can write pages and pages

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Thanks Eric

I will try to hook up some pics of differant species, and if anyone has any please add them.

This thread is for information into these fish - NOT were to buy them!!!!!

I am keeping a close eye on this topic as it is such a contraverial topic (or so I'm told) so be warned!!!

if you do have any arowana info please add it

·
Photographic Genius
3,492 Posts
Here's some links to my profiles:

Silver Arowana Profile
Black Arowana Profile
Australian Arowana Profile

The Asian Arowana, Scleropages formosus, is still listed as a CITES Appendix I endangered species. Here's a link to the CITES page:

CITES Appendix

Scleropages formosus is about 3/4 of the way down the page. Notice that it's valid from May 28, 2003. That means that it is still 100% ILLEGAL in the United States. If the Asian Arowana were actually legalized in the U.S., there would be an immense buzz all over the fish world.

Please, PLEASE do more research before you post jargon like this. Info like what was given above is what gets inexperienced hobbyists into mounds of trouble. I'm sorry if I'm coming off gruff, but that's just how I feel about the info given above.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Welcome to PFury dracofish

Thanks for your imput, I think it is good to have more than one persons view on things

·
Photographic Genius
3,492 Posts
Thanks, the information that "o snap it's eric" provided has more holes in it than swiss cheese. He doesn't even know the correct names of the fish he's talking about!

FYI, there are two types of Australian Arowana, S. jardini and S. leichardti. Jardinis are much cheaper and easier to find. Leichardtis are very rare in the fish world and are easily identified by the two dots of color on each scale.

FYI, Black Arowanas do not get to the same size as Silvers. They reach about 36" max, while Silvers can reach up to 48" (but not likely in captivity).

FYI, it's not hard to get an Arowana to accept frozen and prepared foods. Every single one of mine has never seen a feeder fish a day in it's life. I feed shrimp, squid, beef heart, earthworms, and floating sticks (by Azoo).

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
Well dont trip.. thats what this boards all about. Giving info and putting in your own 2 cents just to correct others (if they're wrong) inorder for others to get the right info. Erics a cool guy, I dont think he'd mind being corrected if he feels hes wrong.

WELCOME to PFURY!!!

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for fixing my many errors with what i wrote. I should have done more research but, i did mention there are 2 different types of Aussie aros and about Blacks and silver growing the same size, its true to a certain degree. Usually inbred as heck silver aro produce drop eye. Its weird, all the aros i have would have a hard time accepting prepared food. I guess you have luck w/ skills and i dont

Maybe i didnt elborate enough when writing this thread but its really hard for me to do all that in 10 mins. I remeber doing this when i was on a in between class break in college. Please excuse my mistakes and having Draco fixing it. She is very informed when it comes to aros. I come to her when i have aro problems.

As for the asian aro issue, i only said that because of what Ron of fishpost said to me through via PM. Etheir i read his PM wrong for he is messing around with me

·
Photographic Genius
3,492 Posts
It's all good Eric...

I should probably add that even though the Asian Arowana is still a CITES Appendix I endangered species, they CAN be imported by obtaining a special permit and liscense. BUT, getting such a permit would require an act of God and/or Congress. Pretty much the only places that can get such a permit are wildlife and education institutions, which include public aquariums. There's no way in hell the government would approve a permit for business purposes, such as selling them for profit. Even if a seller could get a permit, the buyer would have to obtain a liscense to own one, which would also be damn near impossible to get.

I know, it sucks...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts