Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
They totally destroy goldfish, but while buying a new set of feeders today, my LFS chanced upon having $1 giant danios. Normally I always see Giants as $2, so I figured I'd get one.

Everyone says they're fast, so I figured he would put up a good chase, which is something I always seek ( large goldfish are slow as hell and get torn apart piece-by-piece starting from the moment they hit the water, rosy red minnows are a lot faster but they always get nailed within 20 mins of having them in the tank, because they're so slender and bite-sized). I've also used Zebra danios a few times, they're identical to minnows in all respects except they cost more.

But this 1.5" Giant Danio I got is almost as massive as a goldfish of similar length, and seemed to move pretty damned fast as well.

So I threw him in the tank, while simultaneously praying he wouldn't get chomped the minute he touched the surface. He definitely didn't get hit.... THE m**********r MOVES LIKE GREASED LIGHTNING!!! My 3" Texas and 2" Venustus, who are my Large Fish Destroyers, take their shots at him... and are WAY off. By the time their jaws clamp down on where the danio should be, the danio's a mile off. The danio acan run circles around both of them. Totally insane. This danio wastes the speed put forth by my other dither, a 2" tinfoil barb, who is always missing a few scales.

I intended for the danio to be an amusing chase, but holy crap there is no way my fish will ever manage to to even touch him. He's the next permanent resident of my tank.
Rargh

·
Registered
972 Posts
LOL!!!!!

Yep, them and silver dollars suck, man.

If they have the room, nothing can tire them or catch them if they last the first few minutes and know to keep their guard up.

I shouldn't say they suck tho, that was a joke. I like SD's, they kick booty, but giant danios do suck. They never stop. It's like they're on the greatest cocaine blast 24/7. They make me seasick watching them and I actually had to trade them back in because they move way too dang much. I was too stressed out watching my tank.

I hope you like them, because chances are, if given a tank big enough, they are there to stay my man.

·
Registered
972 Posts
piranha45 said:
Jor said:
...They never stop. It's like they're on the greatest cocaine blast 24/7. They make me seasick watching them
my thoughts exactly
Yea, I don't remember if it was here, AT or AA that I mentioned it, but that's exactly what I said to bro.

I would have had a heart attack if I kept watching them.

Get some regular zebra danios or some SD's if you got the space. imo.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SD's are expensive as hell for a broke college kid ($6.50 a pop at walmart, and those ones are only about 1" long), and aside from that I'm not really looking for dithers... just good entertaining feeder-chases

Zebra danios are identical to Rosy Reds in all respects; they get chomped down after putting up good chases (unless they hide... sometimes the little bastards will successfully hide for an hour straight, sitting still as logs under some piece of foliage or other beyond my view and the fishs')

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
whats a danio look like?

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
thoroughbred said:
whats a danio look like?

Giant Danio - Danio aequipinnatus

Zebra danios - Brachydanio rerio

Pearl danio - [/I]Brachydanio albolineatus

Leopard Danio -
Brachydanio frankei (a morph of B. reiro)

Danio devario - Bengal danoi (albino version)

These are the commen ones, but there are several other species including:
*Danio pathirana
*Danio regina - Queen danio
*Brachydanio kerri - Kerr's danio
*Brachydanio nigrofasciatus - spotted danio

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.